Chapter Eight - Shrinking Their Problems

Dr

Dr. New Siwaj Sawatmaneekul

In all my years of treating child geniuses one thing was for certain. Moreover, having a high intelligence quotient, we were all unique. Some of them carried themselves as little adults and couldn't be bothered with 'trivial things' that were typically done in their age groups. Others still carried themselves as children enjoying every phase life had to offer.

Pimchan was the latter. At four her intelligence surpassed many, but the precocious four-year old loved being a kid still, which thrilled my heart. I considered this having the best of both worlds. Boun and Prem requested for me to observe their daughter over the preceding few weeks and then have a one on one with her.

Pimchan was sitting on the sofa of my office, dangling her feet from the edge. Her innocent brown eyes scrutinized me, as she tilted her head to the side. This was a trait I noticed over the weeks. She would do this with adults, reading them in a way that even impressed me.

"The word shrink originated from the headshrinkers of an Amazon tribe in Peru who shrunk the heads of their dead enemies

"The word shrink originated from the headshrinkers of an Amazon tribe in Peru who shrunk the heads of their dead enemies." Pimchan said staring at me.

I couldn't help but smile. Although the term shrink, could be considered derogatory slang to some mental health professionals it didn't bother me much. I fully understood what it meant today, and not just where it originated from.

"But today the term is used because you try to reduce the problems in the head." She finished.

"That's correct Pimchan." I confirmed.

She stared at me perplexed.

"But I don't have any problems in my head." She said slightly perturbed.

"With all the changes you're experiencing at once, moving into a new home, your pôr and náa getting married, they just want to make sure everything is fine."

"Doctor-patient privilege doesn't apply to minors, so there's nothing to discuss." Pimchan glided her thumb and index finger across her closed lips in the gesture of zipping them up.