Chapter Three - I Think You Should Sit Down

Boun's Point of View

Kao was my best friend and leading lawyer of my legal team. Like myself he was a child prodigy. Musically and intellectually.

Kao, Boun's Best Friend

At the age of five, and without access to a piano, Kao taught himself musical composition by reading an abridged encyclopedia. At the age of nine, he became a full-time undergraduate student at University of Pennsylvania studying law, physics, mathematics as well as music.

Like myself, his childhood was difficult, his parents weren't as terrible as mine, but they expected nothing less than greatness from both their sons. Even more unfortunate when his parents discovered that Kao's youngest brother Khang, wasn't 'exceptionally smart' in their eyes, they pushed him into acting and worked him hard. Khang's face was everywhere. From television series, to movies, commercials, and cameo appearance. Kao's parents forged Khang's hours, in order to get passed child labor laws.

Although Khang loved acting it wasn't done on his terms, he was overworked, he rarely slept, and it was all too much for him. He had a nervous breakdown.

Kao's little brother was only five at the time.

Kao fought for custody and won. Khang was ten now currently starring in a series called Masterminds, and even though even Mensa didn't consider him a genius, he played a brilliant one on TV.

Until then my best friend had been uncertain with what he wanted to do professionally long-term, Kao finally realized what he liked and respected more than music and physics.

He liked the law and he liked winning and when I received his call that fateful morning, he informed me we had an important legal matter that couldn't be discussed over the phone.

I cleared my schedule.

"I really think you should sit down," Kao insisted.

"I'd rather stand, I've been sued before I know how it goes." I told him with my arms folded across my chest.

"It's not that simple Boun, this is very different." He tried to explain, "and I urge you to have a seat.

"You said this was a legal matter."

"It is." He confirmed taking a deep breath, "but this legal matter isn't business, it's personal."

"Personal?" I repeated, Kao nodded with an ominous look in his eyes.

A few moments later, there was a slight knock on the door, Kao opened it without hesitation.

"I got here as soon as I could."

It was New.

After seeing the same bleak expression on his face, I decided to take Kao's advice and sit down on the sofa in my office, New joined me.