23. The Question

"I'm home!" Sara shouted cheerfully as she sneaked into the house. When she was greeted with silence, she rolled her eyes and set the food from the store on the counter. Now to find Chris. 

Sara strolled through the hallway and peeked inside all the rooms. "Where are you, Chris? I'm back."

Nothing. 

Strange. I wonder where he is.

                                                                 ~~~

Chris stumbled through the woods. He had to get back to the house before Sara. If he didn't, he would have to come up with another one of his excuses. 

I knew that it would happen soon, but not like this. 

He was expecting a great reveal. A reveal in front of Sara, so that he could watch her squirm. 

So much for that dream. 

If Chris was being honest, which was rare, he wasn't quite sure what he was going to do next. This wasn't part of his plan. He would have to improvise. 

                                                                ~~~

The sun had set and Liam was just arriving. 

He was starting to get used to beginning every day normally, and then having a strange night. Tt had become a part of his routine. Liam smiled. He was starting to enjoy change. 

Who would have thought?

Liam didn't have to hide from nosy neighbors, since Annalise was the only person he knew with night vision goggles, so he quietly knocked on the back door of the house they all were searching. 

Sara, messy hair as always, opened the door for him and smiled sweetly. Liam smiled back. He was still getting used to her being friendly to him. 

"Annalise isn't here yet, but I don't think she will mind too much if we start without her," announced Sara.

She would mind all right. But Liam didn't say anything. 

He followed her into the living room, where Chris was hard at work, inspecting the fire place. "Hey, Chris. How's it going?"

Chris looked up, calmly as usual, and gave a suave smile. "Everything is going just fine."

Liam stood next to Chris and helped him search the high areas, while Sara scrutinized the floor boards. Everything was quiet for a long while as they got to work. 

                                                                ~~~

"I'm worried," expressed Sara. "Annalise is never this late. She is usually here before it even gets dark." Liam had to agree. Annalise was never one to miss out on anything. 

"If she never shows, I will check on her on my way home, to make sure she is ok." 

Sara looked at Liam. "Thanks. But I am still worried."

Me too. 

"I'm going to get something to eat. Want anything guys?" Sara asked. 

Both the boys shook their heads. Which was unusual. Liam was always hungry. But for some reason, Annalise not showing up gave him a sickening feeling. He lost his appetite. 

As Sara walked away from the room, Liam asked Chris, "Where do you think she is? I didn't want to ask with Sara in the room. But Annalise would never miss a night with you guys. Something is wrong."

Chris carefully looked away from the corner he was searching to meet Liam's eyes.

"I don't know. Maybe she got sidetracked in the library."

It was a good guess. Annalise always seemed to lose herself in the books. But something about the way that Chris was looking at him made him question further. 

"Not this late, though. The library is closed, and she would have been home about two hours ago. Something is wrong. Very wrong. Are you sure you don't know?"

Chris turned back to his corner. "Of course. If I knew where she could possibly be, then I would tell you guys. I'm just as worried as you. A young woman like her, missing, is always something to be wary of."

Liam closed his eyes. His paintbrush hitting the floor. The red streak.

"It certainly is."

They both continued working, when Liam thought of something he hadn't previously considered. 

"Hey, Chris. Why don't you go by yourself to search Persephone's house? You know where it is now, and that way Sara won't have to go. She would trust you to search it carefully."

"Already planning on it." He stopped looking at his corner for a moment. "I mean, I was thinking the same thing, recently. It's definitely something to consider."

Already planning on it? Was he going to tell Sara? Was he going to tell any of us?

"Well, whenever you plan on going," Liam said slowly, "let me know and I'll help you out."

"No, that's ok. I don't need any help. I've got it."

"No really, it's not a problem. Let me help."

"I can handle it."

"You might want an extra set of eyes."

"I already have some guys coming with me."

Liam paused. Say, what now?

"Who?"

"Oh, just some friends."

Something was wrong. Liam knew that he kept thinking that, but something was really, really wrong. He felt it in his gut. The last time something seriously wrong happened, he had felt it in his gut before he even found out.

The red streak.

Take a deep breath, Liam. Be smart. Don't speak without thinking. 

"You are hiding something, aren't you, Chris?"

Bold, maybe. But if he wasn't hiding anything, we can all just laugh about this later. 

He hoped he could laugh about this later.

Chris's back stiffened. "Aren't we all?"

Liam talked cautiously, "You aren't telling the truth, are you?"

Chris didn't say anything. 

"Where is Annalise, Chris?"

Liam heard a small sniff. He looked over at the doorway and saw Sara looking at him with wide eyes. Liam expressed to her that he wanted her to be quiet. Chris didn't know that she was there yet. 

"You aren't who you say you are."

He still didn't say anything. 

"Who are you?"

Nothing. 

Liam glanced at Sara. She was turning paler by the second. Her eyes left Chris's unmoving back and looked at Liam. Their eyes met. 

Please forgive me, Sara.

"Chris. Are you the Collector?"

...