24. The Struggle

Chris lunged himself at Liam.

Liam was unprepared for the blow, so when Chris punched the side of his head, Liam fell to the ground.

His head throbbed and he couldn't see straight. Or hear well.

But he heard Sara's scream.

Liam moved his head across the room, trying to locate her.

There.

Chris was holding her from behind, with his hand plastered against her mouth. She was kicking and trying to twist free.

But she was struggling. He was too strong.

Liam blinked. Do something.

Chris was heading for the door.

Please don't take her.

He was out of sight.

Not Sara, too.

He pulled himself off the ground and stumbled through the house. Where did they go? He couldn't hear anything. He could barely see anything.

A shadow in the kitchen. Back door opening and closing.

Move

Liam trudged through the kitchen to the back door.

The red streak.

But this time, it wasn't a memory. It was right in front of him, on the door handle.

He knew it wasn't paint.

Sara.

He threw open the door and grabbed the first thing he saw. He stumbled towards Chris and Sara. They hadn't gotten far.

Liam could see better now. He could hear better now. He could see Chris hurting Sara.

Hurting her.

He raised the shovel and swung with all the strength he had left.

It didn't hit his head. But it hit his shoulder.

Liam heard a loud crunch. But he didn't wait around. He grabbed Sara and carried her around the outside of the house.

Where could he go?

Annalise's.