Chapter 1- To the end

A hut sat in a swamp on the outskirts of Tartarus, the front yard littered with drakon bones. The hut belonged to the giant Damasen, the bane of Ares.

The titan Iapetus, now known as Bob, rushed through the swamp carrying the limp form of a demigod, Perseus Jackson, as another, Annabeth Chase, ran behind him.

They splashed through the swamp and wove through the bones to the front door. As the door opened, Damasen took in the sight. Bob asked Damasen for assistance in healing the unconscious demigod, as his powers were not enough. After a moment's debate, Damasen led the titan and two demigods into his hut, directing Bob to lay the demigod on the bed.

Next to Percy's unconscious form, Annabeth sits, waiting for Damasen's treatments to begin to work. Bob sits across from her on a chair, with Damasen shuffling around them, continually checking Percy's vitals.

"Thank you, Bob, for coming to our aid. We would never have made it this far without you," Annabeth says as she looks to the titan with a look of utmost gratitude.

"Bob saved his friends. I am a good titan," Bob says proudly as small Bob nestles into his hair, his skeletal frame flashing.

"You are a good titan. I wish you didn't have to come here, though. When we find the Doors of Death, we will not leave you here; you will come back with us. You can stay at camp with us, show the campers how you sweep your enemies from the battlefield." She says earnestly.

Bob looks to the ceiling, "It would be nice to see the stars again."

Annabeth sits up straight, "Bob, we will get you out. I swear on the River Styx, we will all get out." She turns to Damasen, "Damasen, I-"

Damasen holds his hand up to cover her mouth, "No child, I will stay. No oaths for me, please. Oaths come at a heavy price, and I will let none bear that price for me."

Annabeth looks up at him in confusion before nodding. She looks back to Percy, waiting for him to wake up.

----

As the demigods fought to the doors of death, Damasen and Bob fought by their sides, small bob leaping into a full-grown sabertooth skeletal tiger to swat away monsters. After the first wave of monsters was destroyed and the chains holding the door were cut, Damasen rushed the others to climb inside the elevator. He would hold the button for them; Annabeth would not break her oath in his presence.

Just as Annabeth went to step through the doors, the ground shuddered. Quickly looking around, they see a great form slowly rising; Tartarus himself had taken on a form to meet them. Tartarus takes in his new body before deeply inhaling, sucking in the monsters nearest to himself. He booms with approving laughter.

Tartarus takes a moment to take in the scene and stops when he faces the group, huddled in the doorway. He begins to pick up weapons from the monster army he had devoured. One after another, he threw them with increasing speed towards the group. Damasen roared and charged him, his drakon coming from behind the monster army's flanks, meeting him in his charge. As Tartarus threw the final weapon, a long dagger, towards the charging giant, Damasen dodged quickly before plowing into Tartarus full force.

A moment later, a guttural scream pierced the air, and the ground began to tremble. Percy was on his knees, cradling Annabeth as she shuddered, a dagger deeply embedded in her chest.

Percy screamed again, and the ground exploded. Damasen quickly backed away from Tartarus as he was swallowed in a hurricane of water, the five rivers blending and cocooning him inside. He watched as the rivers took hold of Tartarus and slowly pushed him back into the ground, holding him hostage.

Damasen rushed back to his friends to see the severity of Annabeth's wound. He shared a glance with Bob; they knew the answer. Even with Bob's help, she would not last the twelve minutes to the upper world.

Damasen knelt beside Percy and laid a giant hand over his back, "Percy, you must leave. We do not know how long Tartarus will stay down. Don't worry; I will stay with her until she passes."

Percy shook his head, "No, I can't leave her behind. I'll bring her with me and get her ambrosia as quickly as I can."

Annabeth raised her hand and set it against Percy's face while shaking her head.

Damasen spoke softly, "If you take her with you, she will not last the 12 minutes needed. She will die on the way and will be forever stuck in limbo as the doors are a ferry, not a place for one to die. If she dies here, she may be able to be reborn, just as the monsters are. I do not know for certain as no demigod has died here before. If she does, she will always be looked after by me."

"But if she stays here, then she won't be in Elysium. I'll never see her." Percy says as he strokes her cheek. She smiles at him.

Bob shuffled to Percy's side, small bob, a kitten again rubbed his head against Percy's leg, "She won't make it to Elysium either way. At least this way, she is not stuck in the void. She will have company."

Percy slowly nods his head and then buries his head against Annabeth's shoulder. He hears her faintly whisper into his ear, "Oh, Seaweed Brain, I will be here with Damasen." She coughs and hoarsely continues, "You will go on to be the greatest hero possible, and Bob will be the best Titan. Know that I love you, and hope you will be able to find happiness again in your future."

Percy raises his head to stare into her fading eyes, "I love you, Wise Girl. You are my happiness."

She smiles at him, "I am but one possible happy ending; you will come across more. Promise me you will not avoid them. Promise me that you will seek happiness. For me. Promise me." Her words start to fade out as her grip loosens on Percy.

"I promise Annabeth, I promise." He whispers to her as she weakly smiles up at him.

"Goodbye, Percy." Her body falls limp, and Percy draws her in close and sobs.