Chapter 13- Malfoy Christmas Party

Christmas break for Hogwarts consisted of two weeks home. Our parents had discussed with Hermione's when the best time for them to visit would be. As Hermione's family enjoyed a family Christmas dinner and a lowkey "boxing day," they decided visiting before Christmas day would be best.

The Malfoys were hosting this year's Christmas party on Saturday, so Hermione's family decided they would join us Sunday night and stay through Christmas morning. They lived on the north side of London, so it was about an hour's drive to our home in Great Hampden. Unlike driving in the United States, driving anywhere over thirty minutes away was considered a long drive. This still baffles me, flashing back to my long treks cross country in little to no time to complete ridiculous quests.

Since all of our prior memories of our wizarding Christmas times are fake, this would technically be our first year experiencing it. Lady Hecate had spun her magic, and the mist so thickly that our parents showed up in old photographs around the wizarding world had trophies at Hogwarts and memories with many within the wizarding world. But they had no memory of our prior Christmas's in New York.

Of the scared twenty-eight families, there were only 4 that hosted Christmas parties, and they rotated each year. The Malfoy family, the Greengrass family, the Shafiq family, and Horace Slughorn. Slughorn had joined the rotation since he had retired from Hogwarts. Next year would be Slughorn's turn, and then it would fall to Greengrass and then to our family. Some years, the annual party would be canceled to host a Ministry-sponsored event, but those were sparse.

In the wizarding world, my mother had devoted her life to raising her family, and in her spare time, had become quite a seamstress. When she was not at home caring for Estelle, she would be handing out fresh robes and outfits to the various wizarding orphanages around the country. Poppy, with our absence, had taken up to helping mother with her projects. They could easily clothe an entire orphanage in two days.

As soon as we returned home from Kings Cross, we were whisked into her workshop. Poppy quickly had a tape measure take our measurements and jotted them down.

"New robes for the Malfoy's ball," mum said as she found her fabric ring. "What colors would you like this year, boys?"

I let out a deep breath as the tape measure finally released my chest, exchanging looks with Leo, who had his hands above his head as another tape measure zoomed around him.

"How about some house pride?" He asked, finally lowering his hands.

"You know, it's funny," I began, pulling out riptide and swirling it through my fingers as I plopped into one of the accent chairs. "I've got the water thing, and you've got the fire thing. But our house colors are completely backward."

My mum moved closer with a ring of fabric swatches, "Percy dear, you would look lovely in green. It would definitely bring out your eyes."

I shook my head as she retreated and then neared Leo. "But your eyes would match with anything."

Leo laughed as he took the swatches from her, rummaging through the blue section.

Again, I found it funny how our favorite colors had swapped when entering the wizarding world. Maybe Hecate was preparing us for our Houses.

Leo finally pulled out a deep blue brocade fabric that had details of bronze.

I smirked at him, "Going all out with the House pride, eh?"

Leo only grinned back, "Hey, I want to look snazzy." He threw me the swatch bundle.

I sighed as I began flipping through the red hues. I finally chose a similar brocade fabric with scarlet and gold. I also found a black fabric to go with it.