Chapter 11: Jedrek

The girls leave the room, Athena staring straight at Ms. Hadley, the blabbering supervisor. While I'm already shocked, I just become horrified when I notice Donna didn't even get the suitcases. That's where we kept a ton of meds and spare clothes. Hugo ranted about it for an entire day, saying how it's "absolutely crucial" that we leave with proper preparation.

Donna hands me a crumpled up sticky note. I try to open it silently, but the paper makes a terrible rustling sound. The note reads:

get your backpacks, we can't get our suitcases anymore. when you are ready to move, signal to Athena from across the hall. GO.

I pass the note along to the other guys while we move one at a time to grab our bags. Hugo is the last to leave as he keeps checking his suitcase to make sure there is nothing else that he needs to bring. He knows best, but time efficiency is very crucial at the moment. I smack him on the head when he finally closes the door behind him.

Quickly and quietly reaching the hall, we nod to each other in silence. I take my pointer and middle finger to signal for Athena to leave. Her eyesight is no longer trapped in Ms. Hadley, and we make our way down the stairs.

After about two minutes of waiting in the lobby, Athena comes flying down the stairs. She's completely out of breath with Ms. Hadley tailing her. Athena's lucky Hadley's pregnant. Hadley would usually catch up without breaking a sweat.

"Help," Athena wheezes. "I can't run anymore." I sling her over my shoulder and feel her heart pound against my back.

"Go! Go! Go!" Donna reiterates the instructions to us way too loudly, as if we didn't already know.

I push open the door with the shoulder Athena isn't on. Hadley, with her walkie, and two guards bust after us almost immediately.

Not far from the shelter, maybe a half a mile, there's a ruckus. At least it seems like we managed to lose the security, though.

Noticing Athena's heart rate has slowed, I put her down. "Thanks," she whispers, still slightly out of breath.