Chapter 34: Athena's POV

Leaving the station on will do more harm than good. It'll just make us feel guilty. But, the majority wins, I guess.

"What hurt the most was that the kid barely even knew how to use a gun. We were trying not to shoot. The force always taught us to only shoot when absolutely necessary."

"Man, here on 6-7 Central I can tell you that's awful!"

"And they're all doing it to deny The Mars Experience plan. They clearly don't want human improvement."

"If it's not too painful, could you describe to us the moment?"

"Well, they're fugitives. It's our job to apprehend them. We were there originally for the fires. We got a call from the homeless shelter saying Katarina Wright's daughter was missing and found in the homeless shelter. When we arrive, though, we receive a disturbing notice that she is escaping and forcibly taking other orphans with her. So, naturally, we try to surround them... but they're fast. We manage to get a little girl to save her; but then, this boy steals my brother's gun! He takes it and proceeds to shoot all of my team-mates. I realize his first bullet fired might have been a good time for me to strike, but I was in such a state of shock. It was a bloodbath. People I had known my entire life, my best friends, were wiped out like that. I didn't want to kill the kid. I couldn't tell his intentions; maybe he had good ones. But I had to do it for the greater good. Honestly, it was just the worst day for me in the job."

"Wow... anything else you want to add, Cole?"

"Yes, actually. I didn't want to let Athena escape with the kids so easily, so I was searching for them during the night. They take my gun and basically blackmail me, Athena even shoots me in the arm."

"Oh... so that's the scar. I was gonna ask about that next."

"Well, you see, Brian. The doctors said it barely missed my left lung. I could've died just like my team-mates. By a stolen gun and kids I didn't want to shoot. It was just..." he pauses.

"Awful?"

"I can't even think of words to describe it."

My eyes fill with tears, and I swerve off-track. In the narrow road with one car coming our way, my life flashes before my eyes. Luckily, I manage to refocus my eyes on the road and steer the car into some woods.

I think about the interview again, and it strikes me. We're the bad guys.

"Guys, I think we should just call it a day," I mutter, while my lips' quivers tried desperately to make me frown, but I force it into a smile.

"I mean," my voice cracks. "We... we haven't been doing... good. Just look at how many people's lives we've destroyed. You know... and... for what? Why did we make people set buildings on fire and... and kill others... and break the law?"

"Because the scientists are trying to murder you... and Zac. And all the other Mars Experience kids whose lives will be wasted, for what?" Donna defends me.

"To help solve over-world population, Donna. By using a scheme, yes, but was it really? I mean, we knew we could've checked over the chemicals. We didn't. No one ever reads the fine print. This planet's gonna run out of oxygen one day and it's gonna be because of us too," I sob.

"Athena. Ease up. Just because it's, you know, an issue right now... doesn't mean people should get killed off because of it. It's not a peaceful approach. The scientists are in the wrong here," Hugo states.

"Look. I may not be as smart as you, or as strong as Donna, or... as kind as Conner, but I know my science. Right now, we've passed over the amount of people this Earth can hold."