Chapter 14: Athena

It's hard to believe that's what everyone thinks of me. They think I'm indirectly responsible for Conner's death, and they're right. I should face it; none of them would be in the position they are now if I hadn't barged in that night. I start to grow tired, but it's not like I can complain. This is all my fault; no raising our chances of getting caught. I can't believe I got them into this. I suck.

"We should try to find a secluded place to sleep before it becomes dawn and it's harder to hide." I try to hide my labored breaths while speaking, even though I really need the rest.

"Good point. Or we could try to pace it until tomorrow night, and rest as soon as dusk falls," Jedrek immediately rations.

Scattered groans from everyone in our group, but I try to keep my expression placid.

"No way we can make it today and tomorrow. We barely slept last night!" Brianna complains.

"Humans die over eleven days without sleep. If we need to fight, we'll be way too weak," Hugo asserts.

"What about those trees over there? If we make sure to rotate turns staying awake we could each get a full hour or two," I suggest. I try to make my voice as peppy as possible, comforting, as if there'll be something good coming soon. As far as I know, there won't be.

"Fine. I'd say we have a good four hours before sunrise. We can split it into increments," Jedrek says.

"I don't know who made you captain of the team," Brianna scoffs.

"Donna did."

Donna kicks him in the shin. "Shut your trap, Jedrek. We can each get about 40 minutes before sunrise."

Jedrek refuses to get the memo and stays power-crazed. "Right, so I'll take first watch. After I go, it's Donna, Bree, Hugo, Athena, then Emma. Alright?"

"No. But whatever," Donna answers, already walking over to sleep before her post.

Underneath the trees that form a narrow passageway, we lay in the order of posts. The pattern follows two legs, a head, two different legs, a different head, and so forth. Jedrek is the only one sitting up, with one leg stretched out forming a line in between us and what isn't inside the "tree alley". I squirm in place and try to breathe slowly. I know I should take advantage of this opportunity to sleep, but I don't think anyone actually considered resting on this. After hours of walking on hot cement, we need to sleep on hard gravel, squished together like sardines. I wearily lift my head and neck to see if there's anyone, except Jedrek, still up.

Sure enough, I'm right. Everyone's still awake except for Emma and Hugo, who are both snoring softly in a deep sleep. While lying awake, I begin to doubt what Jedrek said. It'd suck being the last to hear the news of a family member dying, everybody hiding it from you.

I look around again. Donna and Brianna are still awake, though I'm not sure how to deliver the news. I could show them the paper, but that's too cruel. Then again, I wouldn't want to bore it out. Like a bandage.

I climb over Hugo and Brianna to get to Donna. "Hey... how are you feeling?"

She doesn't respond.

"I'm sorry, but I need to tell you something. We wanted to wait until you felt better but I think this might be best." I take a deep breath, unfolding the newspaper in my hands. How are they so bony already?

"We were reading the news, and we found this. It's a list of all the people who died today." I point to her sisters, and her lower lip quivers. Her eyes and nose redden as tears start seeping again. "Donna, I'm so sorry."

She uses my shoulder as a cushion for her head, where she breathes sparingly. Brianna scooches next to us and Donna wipes her nose on the back of her arm. "What happened?" she whispers. Donna hands her the newspaper, already on the right page. "Oh, yeah, a lot of people died. It's awful."