Chapter 33: Hugo's POV

The doctors don't call for anyone or try to chase us. Which is good, except, it really isn't. They recognized us for sure. There must be some sort of ransom for catching us. Why would they just let us go that easily? Athena runs up to me, buffing. "There's about to be a storm of doctors going through one of these sides of the hallway. If there's not, try to find the storm of doctors. Run through the storm of doctors." She pauses. "Oh my god, I'm so tired. Make sure everyone else knows. All right?"

I don't have time to react before the "storm of doctors" comes, just like Athena predicted. Jedrek and the others try to turn around. "Go through! Do not turn around!" Athena shouts.

"Athena, these people have sharp sticks!" Jedrek yells back.

"They won't fight you. I'm telling you to go through," Athena commands.

Jedrek doesn't reply, and looks extremely doubtful, but still obeys her. We push through the parade of medical professionals until a metal door with the words, "Exit" written above it sparks before our eyes.

Brianna rams his right shoulder on it, opening the door and making for a dramatic exit. We all run towards the hatchback before Jedrek says,

"Wait. Take the SUV. It's bigger and faster."

"We already have the keys to the hatchback, though," Athena argues.

"The four of us could barely fit in the hatchback, just take the SUV," Brianna strikes back.

From a distance, we hear police sirens. "Take the SUV," Donna reasons.

"Ugh, fine!" Athena relinquishes.

Jedrek tests the doors but it's locked. I test the doors on the left side but they're locked as well. The sound of the police sirens intensifies.

"Let's just take the hatchback!" Athena insists again.

"No! We won't all fit! We're taking the SUV!" Jedrek snaps.

Athena groans. "Can someone get me a bobby pin? I need a bobby pin right now!"

"This isn't the time to do your hair, Athena," Brianna kids. The police sirens have almost reached us, so we all look collectively angry at him for the waste of three seconds.

"Donna has one," Jedrek says, reaching into her hair and pulling out a short, bent metal wire. He hands it to Athena.

Athena, already out of breath, shoves it into the driver's seat car. As the sirens grow significantly louder, she fiddles with it. The doors open and she unlocks all other doors. Jedrek practically throws Donna into the backseat. I ease Emma into the way back and ride up front with Athena. Brianna rides with Emma and Zac, and Jedrek keeps Donna from slamming her head in the seat in front of her.

Athena takes the same broken bobby pin as before and tries hopelessly to turn the car on with it. I slam my knee against the glove compartment in an attempt to jam it open.

A police car rolls up next to ours and Athena strikes the car lock closed reflexively. We all manage to keep our faces turned and hidden.

"Please lower your car windows. We have a few questions to ask you about the Yuma Rebels."

Athena turns her face fully towards the cops and begins scratching the window. I have to bite my lip to keep from yelling.

"What are you doing?" I angry-whisper.

"These windows have vinyl film. They're one-sided. The cops can't see us," she whispers back excitedly.

Jedrek leans in and puts both his hands on our seats. "So... let's just open the window a crack and talk to them. I'm sure they can't recognize our voices."

"Maybe yours and Donna's they can... probably mine as well... Emma from when she talked to the old lady... Apollo can't talk... Brianna's voice sounds too much like Donna's..." Athena murmurs, counting with her fingers. "That leaves us with Hugo and Zac."

"I'm not gonna do it. We need to save my voice for later," I whisper back.

"Zac can't talk, remember?" Athena argues.

"Police, please open up." the cop shouts through a megaphone.

"Yeah, so have him speak like he just came out of the hospital," I argue back.

Athena looks at me, then at Zac. Zac looks as alert as ever, but his body still seems weak and limp. He rolls down the very back window Zac is sitting at by a crack, and everyone else slides down in their seats to remain invisible. The car rolls down to meet Zac at the window.

"Please, I just came out of the hospital. It was a very traumatic experience for all of us." Athena begins sobbing just loudly enough to be heard as a sniffle from the backseat. At that moment, I know Zac doesn't have to say anything else. It's sold. "I'd be happy to give you my number, but I can't quite remember it right now. I suffer from..." he pauses.

"Amnesia!" Zac exclaims, then retakes his serious tone. He clears his throat. "Amnesia."

"Oh, we are very sorry to hear that, sir. But do you happen to have any conscious member in your car right now that could tell us if they saw anything suspicious?" They insist.

"Please stop crying, mom. The cops need to talk to you," he pleads falsely. Bree smiles.

"You know what? I don't think you bunch know anything about them. I will leave you all to get back to your business."

Athena rolls up Zac's window, turns on the radio, and rides away.

"Athena," Donna groans. "That song is awful. Change the channel."

She presses the "up" button and it lands on an interviewer's channel. She is about to skip over it when we hear a familiar name.

"So, you watched most of your teammates be killed before your eyes. That must've hurt, right Cole?"

"Yes. But it's all in a day's job as a cop." Athena is about to turn the radio off to focus on driving when I place my hand on her forearm to tell her to keep it on.