Chapter Thirty-Five

Dark mist swirled around Valda's feet. 

She opened her eyes.  She was kneeling on the damp ground in the middle of a forest.  There were no stars, no sun, no moon.  Only the thick fog that floated across the air in front of her.  The trees seemed to be made of nothing and everything all at once.  She slowly climbed to her feet and turned in a circle.

"Darth Kchoas."  

Valda spun toward the voice but it had come from nowhere and everywhere.  A figure, a man, emerged from the shadows, his form shimmering with power.  Transparent but not.  

Valda knelt on the spongy ground.  "I have come to complete the ritual."  

"Rise, Darth Kchoas.  There is someone who has waited a long time for this day."

Valda climbed to her feet.  A figure, a man, emerged from the shadows, his form shimmering with power. Transparent but not.  His features were hard to distinguish but Valda glimpsed bronzed skin, similar to her own.  His black robes floated around him on a phantom wind.  "Valda."  

Her breath caught as she understood. 

Darth Bane's smile was faint, his amber eyes glowing.  "Queen of the Sith.  My daughter.  You have great power.  You have achieved what I was unable to."   

Valda forced herself to breath.  "I don't... I didn't mean... I was just protecting Din."  

"Darth Krayt believed that passion to be weak but look at what it has lead you to achieve."  Darth Bane paced slowly to the left.  "The Sith are great warriors because we utilize all emotions through the Force.  We are not like the Jedi who refuse to feel anything.  Anger, pain, rage, hate- these are powerful and destructive, yes."  He lifted his chin.  "But so is passion.  Love.  Trust."

"But the Sith believe the Darkside only correlates to the dark emotions."  

"And that was what I was trying to change.  What I hoped to teach my apprentices in hopes of restoring the Sith to glory.  The Darkside feeds off all strong emotions.  More so rage and hate, yes, but the others are there too.  Find the balance, Valda.  This will make you a great queen.  This will bring back the true power of the Sith.  What the ancient masters taught us long ago."  

"But how... how do I make them understand?"

Darth Bane chuckled, the sound echoing in the forest.  "You must teach them.  My power flows through you, one of the most powerful Sith to walk this galaxy.  And the King of Mandalore... together you two will create a legacy that will change everything."

Valda blinked.  "Din?  What-"

"My time has come to an end, Valda.  Remember what I told you.  Find the balance.  Bring the Sith to glory again."  And then his figure dissolved into the mist.  

Valda was left alone in the dark forest.