Chapter 43

Nxumalo had hardly slept the previous night. He kept tossing and turning, kept waking up and looking at the ceiling. He didn't know whether it was because Hailee was not in bed with him all night or if he was dreading today's ceremony.

After he had sat down with Hailee's father, he was granted permission to proceed with the lobola negotiations.

Hailee had been sent to her grandfather's house to spend the night, while Phiwe was taken to the Zulu estate were she stayed with her grandparents.

Nxumalo had never slept under a different roof with his family, which added to him being restless.

Hailee's father arrived late last night for the negotiations, which he was clueless about at first but was recruited because he wanted the exposure of the entire process.

During the meeting Nxumalo had with him while they were in the states, they agreed that Jonathan will lead the negotiations joined by her uncle James who knew the procedure quite well.

So, today was the day.

Nxumalo's emotions were all over the place. He was excited yet terrified if everything would go well, given that he is in the Parker's bad books.

In the morning, Jonathan was briefing Jason on the proceedings and how they hoped it would go. He explained everything to him from the hand written letter, to the money paid to access the premises, to money paid to begin the negotiations and possible fines they would charge in case they weren't impressed by the Zulu's actions.

The only thing Jason picked up from everything that Jonathan said, was that his daughter was going to be traded in for cows. He still didn't quite understand that part. If his daughter was going to be traded in for any type of animal, it had to be some majestic beast with healing powers, found in lands far, far away were only men with the highest indigenous skill set could survive the hunt of bringing the beast to him.

But instead, it's just cows. What he was to do with them or where to put all of them, he had absolutely no idea.

His wife on the other hand refused to be involved in anyway with anything that has to do with this union. So she stayed behind instead.

Hailee: "Baby, are you up?"

Nxumalo hears his notification sound and rushes to his phone.

Nxumalo: "I hardly slept. I'm so nervous. How are things in the mansion?"

Hailee: "Whuuu don't even get me started. The drama. Akant."

Nxumalo sighs.

Nxumalo: "Your family hates me so much that they'll even make me pay for that one time you were 2 minutes late for class. Phela they are capable of saying I'm being fined for you not being punctual."

Hailee giggles at her phone.

Hailee: "Don't be ridiculous lol. I have to go get ready and prepare everything, I love you."

Nxumalo:"I love you more soon to be Mrs Zulu."

Nxumalo had asked his father, Melusi and Nkosinathi's brother to represent him at the negotiations. He wasn't exactly close with his uncle but he wanted to do right by Hailee.

The initial agreement was that they would be at the gate by 9am, but the trio was 15 minutes late. They were made to stand outside for an hour under the scotching sun, much to Melusi's annoyance. So, because it wasn't bad enough they were late, but they decided to take out camp chairs, a cooler box filled with alcohol and a gazibo while they awaited entrance to be granted. They even had the nerve to bring along a speaker they used to listen to music.