Chapter 34

Once Sbusiso had arrived, he and Nxumalo had a talk at the bar while Khayalethu went upstairs to talk to Hailee.

After an hour of convincing, Hailee finally opened the door and came downstairs.

Once Nxumalo sees her come down the stairs, he shots to his feet. The sudden action scares Hailee a little, and her steps slow.

"Hlala Nxumalo." says Sbusiso. Sit Nxumalo.

Nxumalo slowly sits, his eyes never leaving her.

When she enters the lounge fully, Sbusiso stands and hugs her, and asks her if she's okay, in which she only nods. She had taken headache pills and cleaned up the blood. The scar wouldn't be that bad if she wasn't so light skinned.

She chooses not to look at Nxumalo as she makes sure she sits in the furthest sit from him.

Sbusiso starts by sighing. "Hailee are you okay?"

Hailee doesn't answer, instead she looks at Nxumalo with tear filled eyes feeling anger, feeling scared and in shock.

Nxumalo can't take the look as a tear rolls down his cheek. He stands but Khayalethu stops him.

"She sees him. Look at her, she sees him!" he exclaims in Khaya's face.

"You aren't him Nxumalo! Why do you keep telling yourself that?! Do you want to believe it?!" Khaya yells back.

They stare at each other for a while, Nxumalo's dominance radiating through out the room, making Khaya feel small. But Khaya knew that he had to be strong for his brother because he was his rock. Nxumalo finally decides to sit back down with his head in his hands.

"Hailee, I know you're a bit shaken right now, but I need you to understand that Nxumalo didn't mean to hurt you, he wasn't thinking." Sbusiso says calmly.

Nxumalo jumps in. "I didn't baby, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, I don't know what happened, I just blanked out and I wasn't in control of my actions." he says quickly with tears in his eyes. "Ngiyaxolisa sthandwa sami."

Hailee's facial expression is unchanged. She blinks and a tear swiftly rolls down her already stained cheeks.

"You know we always have each other's backs, and I want to assure you that no matter how close we are, we do not condone violence on any female. I want you to understand that we aren't our father Hailee, and we never will be. That's why Nxumalo is so shaken, because we made a promise to each other never ever to lay a hand on a woman. Nxumalo loves you, and believe me when I say, he didn't mean it.." Sbusiso finishes.

Hailee wipes her cheeks as she sniffles. "What do you mean you aren't like your father?"

Sbusiso and Khaya look at Nxumalo. "You didn't tell her?"

Nxumalo shakes his head weakly.

"Tell me what?"

And just like that Nxumalo is back to being dominant. "And she doesn't have to know. She and my daughter are my safe place, the only pure in my life. I don't want to taint that. You understand? If you tell her, I'll kill you. I can promise you that." he says sternly, meaning every word before leaving the room.

The three in the room look at each other in confusion. Hailee knew when he got like that he really didn't want her to know something, but only because he is trying to protect her.

Khayalethu stands. "I'll talk to him."

Hailee cuts him off. "No. It's fine. I'll go." she says courageously.

The brothers look at her in shock.

"Are you sure?" Khayalethu asks in disbelief.

She nods, silently letting out a breath.