Chapter 36

She turns on her side as the sun rays gently warm her face. She stretches to her side to reach for Nxumalo. She lazily puts her hand out to reach for him, but feels his side of the bed cold.

She then opens her eyes only to see that he indeed isn't in bed with her. She sits up confused, only for her to realize that she was in an unfamiliar bedroom. It takes a moment for her to rub her eyes and reality smacks her in her face.

She remembers that she was in the hotel, as instructed by Melusi with her daughter.

Her daughter!

She suddenly jumps out of her bed when she doesn't find her in the room.

She doesn't want to panic but she's having the worst thoughts right now.

Could Nxumalo have taken her? It was his fault! He is the one responsible for her baby's disappearance!

She runs to her bedside to grab her phone. Her vision is blurry and her world is spinning, but she tries to dial a number. She was going to call every agent from the castle.

It's just then that Melusi comes through the door with a little Phiwe in his hands.

She immediately drops her phone upon seeing them and runs for her baby. She snatches her from him and holds her close to her chest like it was the last time holding her.

"Why the hell did you take my baby?! Where did you take her Melusi?! You had absolutely no-" she pauses as she starts getting emotional just thinking about those crazy thoughts that ran across her mind.

"You had no right to do that!" she says now with tears in her eyes. "No one is taking her away from me you hear that?!"

"I understand that, and I'm sorry I scared you. Reception gave me the access card and I came straight here to catch up on you."

She looks at him and starts to relax just a little.

"I can only imagine what a long night it had been for you. When I walked in, I found her awake and I didn't want her to wake you because you needed the rest."

He takes a step closer. "I'd never hurt her Hailee."

She wipes another tear. "I know, I know and I'm sorry. It's just that, I thought-" she feels herself breaking down again. "I thought Nxumalo got to her and took her away from me."

"I told you I'd protect you from him." he says, but they both knew that deep down, Nxumalo would eventually come get what's his, and nothing and no one would stop him.

"Thank you for allowing us into your hotel." she says as she puts Phiwe down.

"You're welcome." he gives her a small smile.

They take a sit on the couch. "I'm guessing you've already spoken to him?" she starts.

He nods. "Hailee, I'm really sorry."

"So you knew he was still operating as well huh?" his silence only speaks volumes.

She feels more tears start to form. "Why?"

"Yes, I was against it at first. I really was. But Hailee, what you don't seem to understand is that in this business, you can't just up and leave when you feel like it. Not when you know what we know."