Chapter 46

Tuesday

Nxumalo is in a wheelchair in his home. He was discharged yesterday afternoon and Hailee was there to take him back home.

He hasn't said anything to her for hours. Whenever she tried making conversation, he'd ignore her or reply in nods and head shakes.

He doesn't speak to anyone. He stays in the guest room and always has it locked. He doesn't even want to be in the same room as Hailee. He snaps at everyone as well. He blames everything on everyone.

He only comes out of his room to see his daughter. Even when he does comes out, it's only for a few minutes and than he goes back inside.

Hailee knocks on his door. "Nxumalo, it's me. Please open up." obviously he wasn't going to. She sighs and uses the spare key to open up for himself.

Nxumalo isn't even surprised because this is how she brought him food and how she bathed him.

"It's time for your bath." she says brushing his head.

He doesn't say anything.

She looks at the tray of food she brought earlier and sees its half eaten. There was progress.

She runs his bubble bath and brings in a black box. "Your employees heard about the crash. This is a little something they got for you." she says unwrapping the beautiful box.

He turns and watches her unwrap it.

It was a pair of comfortable sleepers paired with matching navy silk pajamas. They looked very expensive.

Hailee smiles at the sweet gesture and shows them to him. He touches them and smiles a little.

She pushes the wheelchair into the bathroom and tests the water temperature before undressing him and helping him in the tub.

He is silent the entire time.

"Is the water okay baby?" she asks while gently pouring water on his head and back, as if giving a little baby a bath.

He again doesn't say anything. She assumes it's fine.

"Phiwe misses us." the statement makes him look down sadly. "I was thinking maybe we should have a movie date. Just the three of us. There's a movie she's been dying to watch and i think it could be fun if we all watch it together in the house cinema."

He doesn't say anything while she baths him. It's only after some time he answers.

"I'm tired. I can't."

She gives him a small smile and tells him it's okay.

"Are you in pain in any way? Are you hungry? Do you need anything else?"

Nxumalo sighs. She knows he's sick of her questions now. She drys him, lotions and dresses him.

She makes his bed, closes widows and curtains, and tidies anything and everything he had smashed against the wall.

He is zoned out as she does all this.

She is now fully cleaning his room. It's not as dirty as it was yesterday, but this was her excuse for being with him longer. She realises that she is done cleaning the spotless room, so she decides to take a shower in his room. When she is done she wears the white robe in the bathroom and decides she'll go to her room and wear her pajamas once he finally kicks her out.

"Baby, are you hungry? Do you need anything?" she is now squatting in front of him.

"When are you leaving?" he asks looking into her eyes, clearly serious.