Chapter 17

:: Emma’s POV ::

Christmas seemed to be edging closer and closer and each year I always vow to be more prepared than the year before, however that never seems to work out for me. There are always a million things that come up, between work and decorating and baking cookies and holiday parties, the time just slips away and there’s no getting it back. I did have my shopping completely done for Noah which was a huge accomplishment in itself, and honestly it was the most important thing that was on my to do list. I was still struggling with what to get JJ. I mean, what do you get a guy that has everything? I knew I was going to have to enlist my DIY skills and Noah to make him a gift that held far more personal meaning than anything else; I knew he would love that. JJ is a big softy and people don’t always see that side of him, but I love that I get to.

“Did we put in an order for more of those Texans scarves? I just sold our last one.” Tonya’s voice drew me away from the clothes I was tagging and I looked up to see her redressing a mannequin the scarf had once resided on.

“I ordered more but they were on backorder, I’m not sure if they’re going to be in before Christmas.” I answered as I reached for my binder containing all of my order forms with their expected arrival dates, “We’ve been selling them like crazy.”

“They’re cute. I think people are glad to see fan wear for girls.” She repositioned the mannequin and smiled at customers looking through our new arrivals before making her way to the counter, the corners of her lips pulling up into a playful smirk before addressing me, “Not all of us girls are lucky enough to have a JJ Watt of our own you know? We do have to show our hometown team spirit in other ways.”

“Don’t be a hater.” I teased as I laughed at her comment, she was right though, I was definitely lucky to have a JJ Watt of my own, “Besides having  JJ only puts more pressure on me to look cute when supporting the team. So, I certainly appreciate the girly fan wear that’s been coming out.”

“I’m happy for you.” Tonya’s voice was filled with sincerity as the tone of our conversation changed; she rested her arms on the counter and watched as I fussed with getting a shirt to stay on its hanger.

“What do you mean?” A gentle laugh escaped me as I placed the shirt on the rack and moved on to the next one.

“I’m just happy you found JJ. I haven’t seen you this happy in so long Em.”  She smiled at me as she gave a slight shrug of her shoulder, “No one deserves happiness more than you and Noah.”

“Thanks.” I smiled back at her, her kind words really warming my heart, she was my best friend and I was blessed to have someone like her watching my back, “We’re definitely lucky to have J in our lives. He’s been so good to us.”

I was starting to get used to people telling me how happy they were for Noah and I; but what I didn’t realize is how incomplete our lives really were before JJ came along. Well, after being in a relationship with someone like my ex, being single was definitely more enjoyable. There was no one to argue with, no one to give me orders or demand things from me, no one to answer to, no one to let us down; it was just me and my little man and we were happy. Then JJ came along; while I was hesitant about getting into a relationship with anyone, he proved to me that not all guys had to be like my ex and I was thankful for that. He made me feel so safe and secure and I loved it. I was always at peace and it was just a good feeling.