Chapter 19- Wanda fixes me

"I never thought that you'd fail me, Agent Russell. You couldn't track down the smallest thing?"

"Sir, I'm sorry, it's not in any records I can find-"

"You couldn't find it?"

"No, sir,"

"Then you have failed me. Luckily, Agent Barton hasn't. I will not tolerate failure in the future,"

"Yes, sir,"

"Good. You're coming with us on the mission, then. You will help us retrieve it since you are clearly too ignorant to continue with your current job. I hope Agent Barton has trained you well."

"He has, sir,"

"Then we should have no problems,"

"No, sir,"

"Excellent. Let's go,"

The scene shifted. I was no longer speaking with the scepter-wielding Loki, but now in a training room, Agent Barton standing across from me. 

"In order to be a good fighter, you have to be okay with getting rid of people," he told me. "Getting them out of your way. That's what being an assassin is all about. I know that you're no assassin, but I can at least teach you a few things,"

He ran me through some exercises, then handed me a pistol and told me to shoot the moving target. It started out slow, then increased its speed dramatically, reaching up to the speed of a moving car.

"I can't do this, sir," I stated, defeated as I missed for the 20th time in a row.

"Yes, you can. Practice. Practice will make you better. Just keep practicing until you can hit it 10 times in the center,"

So I did. I practiced for a full hour, shooting, shooting, shooting, and not once hitting the target in the bullseye. 

Barton gave me a disapproving look. "I know what's wrong," he said. "You aren't in a situation where you must hit that target because your life depends on it. You need to get out and practice through experience,"

"How will I get experience, sir?" I asked. 

"Through our next mission, of course. I'm leaving in about 5 minutes and I've decided that you're coming with me. Suit up, Agent Russell,"

"Yes, sir,"

~

I snapped awake. 

Around me in the quinjet was the Avengers, the thing/Thor's vision, Ava, and the Maximoffs. They were all examining me with worried looks.

"I'm- I'm fine. Really," I lied, putting up my hands in surrender.

"You sure?" Steve asked. "You were starting to tremble,"

I couldn't make eye contact with Clint as I replied, "I'm fine,"

"No, you're not," Wanda told me. My head snapped up, studying her with mistrust.

"You're hurt," she diagnosed. "I could see your dream. You are haunted by it. I can help you,"

"It?" Steve asked just as Bruce and Tony both gave shouts of protest simultaneously.

"I can ease her pain," Wanda explained. "I can help her accept it,"

"She said she's fine, let her be fine," Tony snapped. 

"She's not fine," Clint said quietly. "I get them too. Nightmares. Images. Glimpses of what I did. I've been numb to them for a bit now, but for her, they're only getting worse. It's been 3 years, Tony... I think something's wrong,"