Chapter 22- The fight in Sokovia (Part 3)

Everything seemed to speed up. The robots charged us, all of them with one collective goal- put their hand on the core and send us all plummetting into global destruction. We all circled the core, all of us with one collective goal- stop them from doing so.

They attacked us from all angles- right, left, in front, behind, on top, below, and everywhere in between. Not a single one got a hand on the core as we slashed, swiped, shot, punched, kicked, cursed, smashed, hit, blasted, and slammed our way to what we hoped to be a victory. I couldn't see anything other than the mass of silver that I worked tirelessly to destroy. I couldn't hear anything over the sound of metal smashing, sparking, hissing, and crunching. I couldn't smell anything but my own sweat beading on my brow and all over my body, and I couldn't feel anything but the slightly padded insides of my suit and the blows I was both delivering and receiving from the robots.

No matter how much we fought, they still kept coming, trying to tire us out enough to get a hand on the core.

We all worked collectively, almost synchronized. If I was struggling with a robot, Ava's hands would turn a deep orange and the thing would blow up both itself and all of the surrounding robots. If I needed an extra weapon, Thor would toss me Mjolnir so that I could bring it down on a robot's head before passing it back. If I was about to get lasered, Cap would jump in front of me with his shield, deflecting the blast and saving my life. Even though I wasn't a true Avenger, in battle, that didn't matter. They treated me as though I were one of them.

Though I thought it would never happen, eventually, the hoard of robots began to thin. Ultron was growing enraged by our success and swooped down to hit the core himself, though the Vision intercepted him, shooting a beam of light at him from the yellow gem on his head.

Thor and Tony caught the drift, firing their weapons at Ultron as well. Ultron tried to shoot back, but the force of three hot laser-like substances was pushing him back and dragging his robotic feet into the gravelly ground.

After a moment, the men stopped shooting at him and watched him with mistrust.

Ultron's entire face appeared melted and distorted. When he spoke, he sounded weak and defeated.

"You know, with the benefit of hindsight-"

Whatever Ultron was trying to say was apparently not important to the Hulk, who charged at him and punched him flat in the chest, sending him sprawling through the air.

He then turned to the handful of remaining robots, who turned and began to fly away from him as though they were afraid. Hulk charged after them, roaring at them as they took off into the sky, making an attempt to get away.

"They're trying to leave the city!" Thor informed us, even though we already knew.

"We can't let them, not even one. Rhodey?" Tony said, sounding as though he was breathing heavy.

"On it," Rhodes replied. He spoke to the robots as he was fighting.

"Oh no, I didn't say you could leave," he said. "War Machine coming at you! Right-"

He appeared to get cut off by something. I looked to the sky to find that the Vision was helping him, shooting beams of light at the robots and melting them.

"We gotta move out," Steve stated. "Even I can tell the air is getting thin. You guys, get to the boats. I'll sweep for stragglers. Be right behind you,"

"What about the core?" Clint asked.

"I'll protect it,"

I turned to see that Wanda was the one who had offered and lifted my eyebrows.