Ch.13: Old Flames

At the Hebe information center you'll find around thirty teens hunched over computers, not unlike a classroom

At the Hebe information center you'll find around thirty teens hunched over computers, not unlike a classroom. Except for once you look closer you'll release each teen is being recorded as they do their work and six armed guards march up and down the isles.

Upon further inspection, you'll realize that all the teens in the room look particularly un-teen-like. Something about the way their brows and backs curve with exhaustion and the lines on their too young faces makes them look older.

But the sleek academic dress code and the mad gleam of intellect and purpose identify them, well I should say us, as dangerous. Dangerous enough that the senior of us know that the guards aren't meant to protect us, but to protect Hebe from us and the secrets we know.

The shifts at the center are closely monitored as well as what our computers access. We spend the day sifting through ground reports and footage of different Hebe files. Seeing if there's anything missing from the reports and monitoring clean up and legalities for Hebe.

Somewhere in this building, a research agent is reading Gamsey's reports on the safe house and our assignments, as well as any relevant security footage from the safe house or mission sites.

Sometimes during break, an agent will come up to me and comment on anything relevant. This, as we are not encouraged to share information, is our own form of rebellion. A side remake, from a tall female agent around fifteen, about the technique of Katriane torching that man from yesterday day could mean anything from "They shouldn't have made her do that" or "It's in your best interest to stay away from that girl."

It's not without a price though, each risky comment is expected to be returned with an equal warning in the future. Most of us are also a part of different task forces as well as research agents and we all see mentions of each other's teammates or tasks from time to time.

It's all very sensitive, the information we sort and the details we find. Were never assigned the same topic twice. One shift I could cover reports from a safe house in Organ where their task force is working to take down a band of smugglers and the next I could be monitoring footage of spy work in Moscow trying to determine what went wrong and if there was a mole. We never know too much about one team or project and because of Hebe's close monitoring of us we usually can't dig any deeper. It's safer that way on both ends. We don't have too much sensitive information to be useful to enemies and Hebe doesn't have a bunch of its teenaged agents being in a position to barter government secrets.

Of course, there are incidents where something of interest comes up and we quietly rebel again. Innocent comments to each other and careful hacking can fill in the gaps. My time is better spent doing my job as told and occasionally sending a warning to barter with so I can keep on the good side of my fellow research agents. So they feel like warning me if Ethan was almost caught breaking a rule of being dead or if relevant info on Koenig comes across their screen. These actions are harder to trace and have fewer chances of backfiring. But I'm no longer stupid enough to think I could get away with knowing too much about Hebe.