1. Chapter 10 Quidditch.

a couple of months have past and it was now close to the next quidditch match. Hermione, who came back the day before term started, took a different view of things about the mirror. She was torn between horror at the idea of Harry and I being out of bed, roaming the school three nights in a row ("If Filch had caught you!"), and is disappointed that they hadn't at least found out who Nicolas Flamel was.They had almost given up hope of ever finding Flamel in a library book, even though Harry was still sure he'd read the name somewhere. Once term had started, they were back to skimming through books for ten minutes during their breaks. Harry and I had even less time than the other two because Quidditch practise had started again.Wood was working for the team harder than ever. Even the endless rain that had replaced the snow couldn't dampen his spirits. The Weasleys (and I) complained that Wood was becoming a fanatic, but Harry (and I) (I was torn) was on Wood's side. If they won their next match, against Hufflepuff, they would overtake Slytherin in the house championship for the first time in seven years. Quite apart from wanting to win, Then, during one particularly wet and muddy practice session, Wood gave the team a bit of bad news. He'd just gotten very angry with the Weasleys and me when we kept dive-bombing each other and pretending to fall off our brooms." Will you stop messing around!" he yelled. "That's exactly the sort of thing that'll lose us the match! Snape's refereeing this time, and he'll be looking for any excuse to knock points off Gryffindor!" I did fall off my broom at these words."Snape's refereeing?" I spluttered through a mouthful of mud. "When she ever refereed a Quidditch match? He's not going to be fair if we might overtake Slytherin."The rest of the team landed next to George to complain, too."It's not my fault," said Wood. "We've just got to make sure we play a clean game, so Snape hasn't got an excuse to pick on us."Which was all very well, I thought, but he had another reason for not wanting Snape near him while he was playing Quidditch. What if he hurt Harry. The rest of the team hung back to talk to one another as usual at the end of practice, but Harry and I headed straight back to the Gryffindor common room, where we found Ron and Hermione playing chess. Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at, something Harry and Ron thought was very good for her."Don't talk to me for a moment," said Ron when Harry sat down next to him, "I need to concern—" He caught sight of Harry, and I faces."What's the matter with you two? You look terrible."Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry and I told the other two about Snape's sudden, sinister desire to be a Quidditch referee."Don't play," said Hermione at once. "Say you're ill," said Ron."Pretend to break your leg," I suggested."Actually, break your leg," said Ron." I can't," said Harry. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all." At that moment Neville toppled into the common room. How he had managed to climb through the portrait hole was anyone's guess, because his legs had been stuck together with what I recognized at once as the Leg-LockerCurse. He must have had to bunny hop all the way up to Gryffindor tower.Everyone fell over laughing except me, I leapt up and performed the countercurse. Neville's legs sprang apart and he got to his feet, trembling. "Neville, What happened?" I asked him, leading him over to sit with Hermione, Harry and Ron. "Malfoy," said Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on." I was shaking from the anger I had, had quite enough of Malfoy tormenting Neville. Neville must have sensed my anger and grabbed my hand. 'Emmy, please don't.' he said but he didn't have a strong enough grip. I stood up and turned to the others. 'Don't. Follow. Me.' I said. I ran out of the common room and down the stairs, through corridor after corridor and down more stairs. I ran as fast as my legs could take me without toppling over. I finally reached my destination and walked into the library. At a table in the far corner sat Draco. I walked over to his table with a fake smile. ''hello dearest cousin.' I said while sitting next to him and Blaise. 'what do you want Emily.' he said while glaring at me. I put a hand to my heart dramatically. 'why would you think I want anything.' he looked up from his book and replied. 'because you called me 'dearest, cousin'.' i looked him in the eyes, and he shuffled back a bit. 'i just wanted to let you know that.' i got the anger back in my voice now. 'if you hurt one of my friends ever again, you'll be in for it.' i grabbed the book he was reading and smacked him hard across the head with it. with one final wink at pansy, I left the room.