Ch 1: My Great Day

*Katy*

I heard my phone ring in the middle of science.

"Ms. Katilia Brownston, may I recommend you answer that." I instantly got mad at my science teacher. I hated when people used my real name and I was having a bad day.

Me and my big bro' Brandon had a fight this morning and what do you think he did? He ran strait to his girlfriend , which was my best friend (but she didn't know about the whole brother/sister thing), and told her everything, just for some sympathy! And she always gave it to him! Sympathy , love , affection. Anything that annoyed me most, they did as a couple. He loved it.

I finally got my iPhone out of my backpack and answered the call, while Mrs. Blankshret stared at me.

"What do you want ? I'm in class!" I said to the other line . I didn't hear anything back , except whimpering and stomping . I checked the caller ID .

'Brandon' it said. The text on the screen made me gasp. Suddenly I felt a bad feeling at the bottom of my stomach. Brandon would never call during class.

" Is there a problem Ms. Brownston?" My teacher asked. I couldn't say anything. My breath got too caught up in time and I realized I wasn't breathing."Where is he ?" I thought after taking a big breath of air.

"Ms . Brownston?"

I looked up and realized I didn't answer her the first time."May I please go to bathroom?" I asked . A few people laughed but I felt like something was wrong with my brother.

" Why?"my teacher asked.

'To go slay the magical king of the fairy people! What do you think?' I thought. "Please ma'am." I begged impatiently. She nodded her head in disapproval as I got up from my desk and walked out the classroom.

I wish I never walked out of the classroom. When I went into the hall, I tried to go strait to Brandon's locker(which was super far from any of my classes), but after I turned a corner I realized why he called me.

I screamed and yelled. My brother was on the floor, surrounded by people beating him up. When they saw me they ran away and then, there was just a beat up, raggedy clothed, weak-looking Brandon.

Some people and teachers came out of the classroom to see what the ruckus was. I never saw Brandon so...hurt... so... I don't even know what. It's like it wasn't reality. Like I was in a dream. No, more like a nightmare. My brother wasn't on a floor surrounded by his own blood. He couldn't be. My brother wasn't groaning in pain and blinded by his own black eyes. It wasn't possible. This was just...A nightmare. One I was ready to wake up from.

I pulled the fire alarm. I didn't care what would happen, but wveryone would see what happened to Brandon and help him. I was kneeling over him, twirling a finger in his dark brown hair(that was identical to mine) and asking him, softly, to wake up, look at me, and say something. He never did. He just stayed there in a fetal position and didn't move . The fire alarm rang in my ear as the tears poured rivers on my cheeks and nose, to a point where I couldn't see anything but the blurring figure in front of me.

A teacher pulled me onto the nurses waiting bench and sat me down, patting my back.

"Can you tell me what happened to your brother, Katy?"The nurse asked.

I shook my head. I couldn't speak or move or see. The fire alarm was off now and I knew that whenever someone passed me on their way to their classes, they gave me looks of both sympathy and irritation. I didn't quite figure out what happened after that, but my mom was there. She helped me out of the bench and led me to the principals office. I knew everyone wanted my side of the story but they can wait. I want my brother back just as much as they want answers. Probably a little bit more, though.

After about 30 minutes in the principals office trying to get what happened put into place, we finally got to go home. I went strait to his room. I picked up his giant, nerdy glasses and placed them around my head . Picking up his favorite video games ( final fantasy and super Mario Bros), I plopped myself on his bed. Curling up under his pop-culture-styled comforter, I Berried my face in his Star Wars pillows. He was a die-hard nerd. I loved him for that. We always played video games. Now that's gone. My brother is gone, I know it. Part of my heart is gone ...

I started crying again."What a great day ." I said sarcastically.