Chapter 12: Lionblaze

LIONBLAZE

            Lionblaze stood on the Highledge, gazing down at the camp. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!” he yowled loudly.

            The clearing was quickly filled with cats. “As most of you already know, Bramblestar has been captured by ShadowClan,” Lionblaze meowed. “Well, we’re not just going to stand by and let ShadowClan injure and potentially kill our leader. At sunset today, we will have our revenge. One final time, we will show ShadowClan who is more powerful.”

            “Here’s who will come to ShadowClan’s camp to rescue Bramblestar: Shadecloud, Grassfur, Cavefrost, Thornclaw, Sunsplash, Ivypool, Blossomfall, Wavefur, Falcontail, Floodface, Icecloud, Berrynose, Toadstep, Rosepetal, Sorreltail, Poppyfrost, Cherrypelt, Molefur, Millie, Spiderleg, Mousewhisker, Bumblestripe, and Cinderheart,” Lionblaze said.

            “What about me?” Brackenfur asked, narrowing his eyes.

            “And me!” Dustpelt exclaimed.

            “Yeah, Lionblaze, what about Brightheart and I?” Cloudtail asked, his blue eyes glinting in the sunlight.

            You’re too old to fight, so I’m leaving you behind for your own safety, Lionblaze thought. Out loud, he replied, “We need a few strong warriors to stay behind and defend the kits.”

            With a sigh, he leapt down from the Highledge and walked into the warriors den. He settled comfortably into his nest and fell asleep.

***

            Lionblaze was standing just outside of the ShadowClan camp. One cat stood in the center of the camp. A group of cats that was as large as a whole entire Clan surrounded it. A voice that sent a chill up Lionblaze’s back whispered, Soon. The battle that will be fought alone is near.

            Lionblaze looked around, but there were no other cats there. Suddenly, the sky turned black. The moon appeared, resting in the night sky and casting a faint white glow on the camp. Near the entrance to the camp lay the unmoving body of a warrior. Lionblaze tried to see which cat it was, but he couldn’t tell. Suddenly, the dream began to fade, cats and trees turning transparent. The voice whispered, The fourth and final death is coming.

***

            It was nearly sunset as Lionblaze led the selected warriors out of the camp. They ran quickly through the forest and soon arrived at the ShadowClan border. Lionblaze hoped that they didn’t run into a border patrol, because a border patrol might return to the ShadowClan camp and warn Rowanstar, spoiling the element of surprise.

            But they didn’t run into anything. Things were going smoothly, almost too smoothly for Lionblaze to believe. He wondered if they were running into a trap or something…

            That’s when the ground fell out from underneath Lionblaze’s feet and he and his Clan plummeted into darkness.