Chapter 13: Lionblaze

LIONBLAZE

            It wasn’t a soft landing.

            For a moment, the world spun and everything looked fuzzy. “Lionblaze!” Cinderheart yowled. “Are you okay?”

            Lionblaze blinked once and he could see clearly again. He rose slowly to his feet and looked around. No one seemed to be hurt, other than a few small cuts. “Where are we?” Lionblaze groaned.

            “Blocked tunnel, I think,” Shadecloud meowed from behind him. “Look to your right, and then to your left. It looks like passageways that have been deliberately blocked by ShadowClan.”

            “So this is the trap,” Lionblaze meowed. “I guess ShadowClan is going to keep us here as prisoners.”

            Sunsplash walked towards him. “We will never be ShadowClan’s prisoners!” she hissed.

            Lionblaze shook his head. “We can’t do anything about it. We walked right into their trap,” he meowed.

            Sunsplash stared at him, a fiery determination burning in her sky blue eyes. “I’ll be back to rescue you,” she meowed calmly. “If the whole tunnel collapses, though, well, I really didn’t mean to.”

            “Huh? Sunsplash, what in the name of StarClan are you talking about?” Lionblaze asked confusedly.

            But Sunsplash wasn’t listening. She lifted a paw and a miniature ball of flame formed in front of her. Only Lionblaze had noticed, because the other ThunderClan cats were too busy worriedly conversing among each other. Sunsplash closed her eyes and the tiny circle of fire soared towards the thorn barrier on one side. It exploded it an orange burst of light. Sunsplash dashed forwards as the ceiling trembled and rocks began to rain down from the ceiling as the opening to that passageway started to collapse. Sunsplash darted right through the wall of flames.

            Lionblaze stared as more rocks fell from the roof. The rocks would extinguish the flames, but they would also block the tunnel again. Lionblaze realized that it was too late to run after his daughter. How am I going to find her now? It’s impossible! Lionblaze thought in despair.

            Suddenly, he heard Bramblestar’s voice is his ear, whispering softly. There is always a solution to every problem, and an answer to every question. There is always a way. Nothing is truly impossible.

            Lionblaze blinked. Bramblestar had spoken those words to him a long time ago, back when he was Brambleclaw, the deputy of ThunderClan.

            Lionblaze looked up at the opening they’d fallen through. There was no way for a cat to climb back up. But maybe….just maybe….

            Lionblaze took a massive leap and somehow managed to keep himself from sliding back down into the cave. Soon, Lionblaze was pulling himself up onto safe ground above. He didn’t know quite how he’d made it up there. Thinking of Sunsplash had given him enough strength to climb up and escape.

            His Clan was watching him, staring in amazement. He looked down at the innocent warriors who had been trapped by the ShadowClan, and he felt anger and hatred start to rise up in his chest. I must rescue Bramblestar and Sunsplash…but I have to help my Clan too. But Sunsplash will probably die if I don’t somehow save her from ShadowClan quickly. “I’ll be back!” he shouted to his Clan as he ran off towards the ShadowClan camp.