Prologue

PROLOGUE

            A young brown tom stepped out the medicine cat den. “Shadecloud!” he yowled.

            A black she-cat trotted out of the warriors den. “What is it, Woodpelt?” Shadecloud asked.

            “Lilyblossom is kitting and…” Woodpelt began.

            “Lilyblossom is kitting already?” Shadecloud asked.

            Almost as if in answer to her question, a loud screech came from the nursery. “That can’t be good. What happens if she doesn’t…” Shadecloud meowed worriedly.

            “Jayfeather wanted a raspberry leaf,” Woodpelt interrupted impatiently. “But I forgot what it looks like.”

            Without any further hesitation, Shadecloud entered the medicine cat den. Scents from her old life drifted into her nose. She shook her head to clear her mind before trotting over to Jayfeather’s store of herbs.

            Sorting through the piles of herbs with her right forepaw, she grabbed a leaf with a slight red tint. She dropped it onto the ground near Woodpelt. “You know it’s a raspberry leaf because it has a jagged edge,” she explained quickly.

            Woodpelt nodded his thanks and turned around to leave the den. “Woodpelt, wait!” Shadecloud called.

            Woodpelt turned his head. “I’m sorry, Shadecloud,” he mumbled. “I don’t have time for delays. Lilyblossom’s life is on the line.”

            As he continued to pad out of the den, Shadecloud called after him, “Did Jayfeather happen to ask for borage too?”

            Woodpelt stopped walking and raced back over to stand beside Shadecloud. He grabbed some borage leaves in his jaws before dashing out of the den. Shadecloud stood there for a moment, alone in the medicine cat den. Then, she took a deep breath and decided to head to the nursery to see if she could help Jayfeather. She decided that she should be helpful rather than sitting around being nostalgic.  

            She paused at the opening of the den, taking one last glance over her shoulder. Suddenly a chill crept up her spine and she was engulfed in a vision. Wind ruffled her fur, and stung against her eyes. She sank her claws into the ground to avoid being carried away.

            Bramblestar flew over her head, nearly crashing into her. More of her Clanmates were carried away by the howling wind.

            Soon, only four cats remained in the camp. Her siblings, Woodpelt and Wavefur, her mother, Blossomfall, and her father, Thornclaw were huddled together in the center of the clearing, trying not to be taken away like their Clanmates. With a wail that chilled Shadecloud’s blood, Blossomfall went flying across the clearing. She fell to the ground, unconscious. Thornclaw, Woodpelt, and Wavefur immediately rushed over to help her, forgetting that the wind would carry them away too. They were tossed into the distance by the storm and they soon disappeared. Shadecloud opened her mouth to scream in horror, but no sound came out. Suddenly, she lost her grip and she went sailing away from everything she knew.

            Everything went dark and a voice whispered, “An unknown threat is near. Wind has the power to destroy our Clan.”