Chapter 1: Jayfeather

JAYFEATHER

            Jayfeather paced back and forth across the nursery floor, waiting impatiently for Woodpelt’s return. Lilyblossom is kitting too early, he thought to himself. What if she doesn’t make it?

            And there were other worries on his mind too. Firestar had appeared in a dream the night before. Destruction is near, the flame colored tom had said. The forest will fall and cats will die.

            Jayfeather could only wonder which cats. And how many cats would die? All of his Clan? Or only a few cats?

            The soft thud of pawsteps behind him brought him back to reality. “What took you so long, Woodpelt?” he snapped. “And did you even bring the right herbs?”

            Jayfeather sensed that Woodpelt had dropped the herbs onto the ground in front of him. He sniffed the herbs. Woodpelt had brought the correct herbs. “Nice job,” Jayfeather muttered to Woodpelt. “Just try to be a little bit quicker about it next time.”

            Jayfeather sensed that Woodpelt was hiding something. Jayfeather closed his eyes and concentrated for a moment. A scene flashed in front of him. He forgot what a raspberry leaf is? Jayfeather thought.

            Jayfeather opened his eyes. “And don’t ask Shadecloud for help next time!” he meowed.

            Another loud screech from Lilyblossom reminded him of the most important task. “Go get me a large stick that she can bite down on,” he meowed.

            “And can you do that without asking Shadecloud for help?” he added dryly.

            Woodpelt darted off. Jayfeather placed his paws on Lilyblossom’s belly and felt another powerful ripple pass through her belly. The queen already looked exhausted. How would she make it through this if she wasn’t even halfway done yet?

            Woodpelt returned soon with a large stick. Jayfeather placed in Lilyblossom’s mouth. Falcontail peered anxiously into the nursery. “Is there anything I can do to help?” the tom asked.

            “Could you get some wet moss please?” Jayfeather asked.

            Falcontail scampered off immediately. Jayfeather simply waited for the kits to come. Falcontail took a while to return.  Jayfeather placed the moss in the exhausted queen’s mouth. “How soon will it be over?” Falcontail asked.

            “She’s almost done now,” Jayfeather replied.

            Woodpelt crouched beside Lilyblossom, murmuring words of encouragement. One final ripple passed through the Lilyblossom’s body. Lilyblossom bit down on the stick, and it broke into splinters. Jayfeather closed his eyes and concentrated until he saw what Woodpelt was seeing.  Two tiny kits lay on the nursery floor, still and unmoving. Lilyblossom was almost as still as them. “Are they dead?” Falcontail screeched.

            Jayfeather was about to say yes when Woodpelt said, “The white she-kit is still breathing!”

            “Well, then lick it!” Jayfeather shouted.

            Jayfeather heard the smooth rasp of Woodpelt’s tongue licking the kit’s fur. Falcontail whispered sadly in Jayfeather’s ear, “Is Lilyblossom dead?”

            “Yes,” Jayfeather whispered. “Lilyblossom is dead.”