Chapter 8: Lionblaze

LIONBLAZE

            Lionblaze was frozen in shock, unable to move his eyes away from the flames that had engulfed his daughter. Sunsplash! he thought sadly to himself. What were you thinking?

            Is my life supposed to miserable? Lionblaze thought. First Pondpaw, and now Sunsplash.

            “Lionblaze,” Shadecloud whispered quietly. “We must take the Clan away from the camp.”

            Lionblaze spun around and glared at the former medicine cat. “Why should we?” Lionblaze spat. “StarClan has declared our destinies to be tragedy after tragedy again. Why don’t we just leap into the flames and put an end to this miserable nightmare?”

            “You don’t mean that,” Shadecloud meowed. “You’re just grieving for your daughter.”

            “But I do mean it!” Lionblaze hissed. “What’s the point of trying so hard to be a good warrior and having everything you care about taken away from you?”

            “Head towards the abandoned Twoleg nest,” Shadecloud shouted to the Clan.

            The cats glanced unsurely at Lionblaze, and Lionblaze realized they were waiting for his order. “Go,” he muttered almost too quietly for them to hear. “Go wherever you want to go. I don’t care anymore.”

            Lionblaze watched as ThunderClan walked away following Shadecloud. All of ThunderClan except for one gray she-cat. Cinderheart stayed and stared sadly at the burning camp. She opened her mouth to speak but Lionblaze interrupted her. “Don’t tell me everything will get better!” he hissed. “Because it won’t!”

            Cinderheart sighed and stared at the gray sky. “Did you ever think that maybe Pondpaw and Sunsplash are happier in StarClan?” she meowed after a long moment of silence.

            “And that’s why I should go join them,” Lionblaze muttered. “I’d be a lot happier too.”

            “Lionblaze,” Cinderheart meowed. “You must go join the Clan at the abandoned Twoleg nest.”

            “I want to stay close to my daughter,” Lionblaze meowed.

            “Lionblaze,” Cinderheart whispered. “If you don’t come, you’ll lose me too.”

            Cinderheart rose to her paws and walked away. Lionblaze watched his mate disappear into the distance. I can’t lose her too, Lionblaze thought.

            Half-heartedly, he rose to his paws and slowly followed her, with his head down and tail drooping. “What do you have against me, StarClan?” Lionblaze wailed.

            After a while, he heard a rustling noise behind him. He slowly turned his head and blinked in disbelief. A golden she-cat was approaching him. She looked up and stared at him with her blue eyes. “Sunsplash?” he called incredulously.

            “I am here,” she meowed. “I left Dovewing and the kits near the Sky Oak. Why are you alone? Where is the rest of the Clan?”

            Lionblaze ignored her questions. “How are you still alive?” he stammered.

            “Oh, just a power over heat that I have. You know, that?” she replied.

            “What in the name of StarClan are you going to tell the Clan?” Lionblaze asked.

            “That I never actually stepped into the flames and that it only looked like it,” she meowed.

            “And what are you going to tell them about Dovewing and the kits?” Lionblaze asked.

            “That they somehow made it out of the nursery before passing out of smoke inhalation,” Sunsplash responded. “And I was able to drag them out of camp.”

            Lionblaze felt a drop of water land on his nose. “The rain will probably stop the fire,” he meowed. “Let’s head back towards the camp.”

            “I hope the fire didn’t reach the Sky Oak,” Sunsplash meowed.

            Sunsplash and Lionblaze walked back towards the camp. They quickly reached the Sky Oak, where the unconscious bodies of Dovewing and the kits laid.  They entered the camp, where the flames had been extinguished by the rain. Lionblaze silently thanked StarClan as he saw that only the nursery and warriors den had been harmed by the fire.  “We can rebuild the warriors den and the nursery,” Lionblaze meowed. “I’m just glad every cat is safe. Let’s go find the rest of the Clan at the abandoned Twoleg nest.”

            Lionblaze grabbed Dovewing and Frostkit by the scruff, and Sunsplash carried the other kits. Then, they began to walk towards the abandoned Twoleg nest.

            Halfway through the journey, the rain stopped. Lionblaze stared at the stars that rested in the now clear night sky, and was thankful that Sunsplash hadn’t joined them. “I love you, Sunsplash,” he whispered.

            “I love you too, Lionblaze,” Sunsplash replied.