Chapter One: Denial

"I ain't gay" I thought to myself as laid down in the lot besides Johnny.  That whole day had been a confusing mess, and it all started this morning when the only thing I noticed about Steve was his muscles.

The gang met up at our usual spot.  Steve came in late.  When he finally arrived, I was actually paying attention to him instead of staring at the ground, daydreaming, thinking, basically anything that involved not paying attention.  That's when I really noticed him.  His muscles seemed bigger than usual, but that's probably because I don't look at him all too much.  I just remember thinking "wow."  But I'm not gay.  I was just admiring his effort.  I think.  I don't actually know.  But I know I'm not gay.

Steve must have noticed my staring, because he asked, "Enjoying the view?"

I turned bright red. "No... er I mean yes- wait no-"

"Oh shut up I'm just kidn' with y'a." He gave me a playful punch in the arm.  I was quiet after that and I made sure to keep my eyes on the ground.  For the most part that was easy until Johnny showed up. 

For some reason I just couldn't keep my eyes off him.  It's been like that for a while now and I just don't get why.  And when he looks at me, my heart always seems to skip a beat.  The way his dark hair falls perfectly around his tan face and his shy, beautiful eyes.  I swear that guy was sent from the heavens above.  He's been pretty much my only real friend.  The one guy that'll listen to me ramble about the recent movie I've seen, or the book I read, or the poem I heard.  He'll listen.  And hearing his shy voice talk is enough to keep me entertained for hours on end.

After we all parted our separate ways, me and Johnny went to go sit by the pond near my house.  It was Sunday and neither of us had anything better to be at.  I always love my time alone with Johnny.  That's when he actually starts talking. You wouldn't expect it, but that guy can talk. I don't remember what we talked about, all I remember is getting lost in his eyes. Any girl could fall for him.

All of a sudden I heard a faint voice going "Ponyboy? Ponyboy? Pony?" That's when I realized I had completely zoned out. And that faint voice was Johnny.

"Yeah?" I asked, pretending like I had been listening that entire time.

"I said what do you think about it? Y'a know, the country. You've been there before, right?" repeated Johnny.

"Yeah, it's real nice out there. And man, the sunsets seem to get just that much prettier out in the country. Me and my parents and Sodapop and Darry, we went there one summer. It was the best..." Before I knew it I was rambling again. When I finally stopped, I noticed Johnny looking at me while I talked. Man, did he ever look handsome.  I just kind of stared back at him

After a minute I realized that my staring had probably become a bit weird.  My face turned bright red.  I quickly looked away.  I'm not quite sure, but I think Johnny might have also turned red.  "I - er, um.." I stared "s-sorry Johnny." "Don't worry about - hey, the sun is setting!  Weren't we supposed to meet Dally at the drive in?" "Ah shoot," I said.  Without saying another word, me and Johnny bolted out of there to the drive in, only to find Dallas bothering some girls.