Chapter 13

Devaki was just about to reach out and touch the child, when a rough hand gripped her collar and threw her backwards. Devaki rolled over and sat up. A woman, who must be the child's mother, scooped him up and glared at her. She was a Halfblood, like the baby.

"Soldiers here is a girl trying to kill our children!" She screamed. Feet pounded down an alleyway. Devaki fled, heedless of the fighting. She reached her house, or what was her house. Only a pile of ashes was left.

"There's the girl!" Devaki ran. Every street or alley way seemed to have a Halfblood in it. Most of the pure bloods were dead. Devaki was chased up and down the city. Fighting was everywhere. Suddenly she found herself in front of her house again. The smoke and the blocked streets must have addled her head. She turned to find a way out. Looking straight down a street she could see the city wall. It had been broken. There was a way out. Devaki took one step when the force of a blast threw her off her feet. She rolled painfully over the cobblestones. The scar on her right shoulder tore open again. She was bruised and painfully scrapped, not to mention overly dehydrated when she stopped rolling. Devaki pushed her hands under her and looked up. Right into the nose of a gun

"Running never helped anyone. You pure bloods think you're so high and mighty, well let me show you, that you're not." The Halfblood soldier growled. Devaki couldn't move. She watched him slowly cock the hammer.

"Stop!" A voice bellowed from behind them. Weakly Devaki turned her head and looked behind her. The soldier looked up. Rebel was walking out of an ally on the far side of the square.

"Why?" Laughed the soldier. "It's a pure blood." Rebel looked him in the eye. His tail was bristiling and his ears were back.

"Because she's my girlfriend. Kill her, and I kill you." Rebel growled pulling a pistol from under his long coat. He turned slightly sideways and aimed while pulling the hammer and aiming at the soldiers chest. The soldier looked slightly surprised.

"She's a pure blood. How could she like you? I mean no offence, you're as hot as they go, but you're a Halfblood?" He asked, keeping his gun pointed at Devaki.

"She's different." Rebel growled spreading his wings. "She's the only one who accepts me, when others won't."

"Different? A pure blood, different? I'll spare her." Hissed the soldier. He reached down and gripped Devaki's collar. "Remember this pure blood." He hissed. Suddenly he stood and threw Devaki across the square. She rolled a few times and came to a stop at Rebel's feet. Rebel stayed standing keeping his gun pointed at the soldier until he disappeared. Then he dropped into a crouch, spreading his wings above them.

"Devaki, are you alright." He asked putting the gun in his belt while putting the safety on. Devaki reached up and gripped the collar of his jacket.

"Rebel," she gasped. Her breaths were coming in short gasps. Rebel reached up with one hand and held it over her's, gently curling her fingers in.

"Yes?" He whispered quietly.

"Rebel, I-I'm sorry. A-about everything. I was wrong about you, and now you just saved my life." Devaki breathed tears forming in her eyes.

"You've always been different. That's why I stuck with you." Rebel said bending down and wiping away her tears, even though tears were in his own eyes. Devaki gave him a faint smile.

"How did you know where I was?" She asked.

"I found several clues. The text on your phone for instance." Rebel said with a grin. He let go of her hand and got down on his elbows above her. Then slid his under her head. Slowly, tentivaly, Devaki slid her hands around his neck. She didn't apply any pressure to his head, but her heart pulled. He kissed her. Then she pulled. He collapsed. Devaki let her watery blue eyes gaze into the golden green eyes in front of her. She could feel his arms rippling with power, locked around her.

"Let's get out of here." Devaki said breaking away from his kiss. Rebel stood and helped her stand. Then he spread his wings. With Devaki holding tightly to his neck he flew up and away from the gunfire. "What do you think will happen now?" Devaki asked.

"With new soldiers coming from the other cities, the Halfbloods will be forced to retreat. They have a knack for escaping." Rebel sighed. "Many will die. But they will all go back to their secret citadel and live on there. There are almost no pure bloods there. It is the biggest congregation of Halfbloods in the world." Rebel told her landing a little ways from the place where the train would stop.

"Could-could you take me to see that place sometime?" Devaki asked as they settled back in the bushes. Rebel glanced at her surprised.

"I guess I could during summer break. But there every pure blood must wear a metal collar until they leave." Rebel said. Devaki lay back and nodded.

"I'll do it." She said.