15

The dark hill loomed over them, stilling the wind and blocking out the stars to the north. They climbed down into a small rocky gully and took a water break while they adjusted to the darkness. A light rain fell from pregnant clouds from the open sea.

"We are close to the entrance," Tathariel said, handing a piece of lembas to Caladuin.

"How do you know such things?"

"Lethril toiled hard in gaining knowledge of this island. She put herself in great danger many times."

"We must be close to the northern coast."

Tathariel nodded. "There is a sea cave beyond the hill, where the boats go, smuggling the pearls."

Emerging from the gully, Caladuin saw that the road seemed to veer away from the hill, down into a dark valley. As they peered into the darkness, a pinprick of dim orange light flashed and bobbed where the road disappeared.

Caladuin remembered the keen sight of the Dolendrim. "We should leave the road."

"Why?" Tathariel said. "If they have seen us, these tunics might assuage their suspicions." They had commandeered the dead guards' clothes, along with some of their arrows.

"Even so," Caladuin said, "we should make for higher ground."

"If we take the road, we can draw near enough for a clear shot."

Caladuin stared at her for a moment. He was finally realising how casually she treated the taking of these people's lives. "I would rather avoid any unnecessary bloodshed," he whispered. "We make for higher ground."

They clambered over bare rocks and boulders, up and around, above the two guards. Caladuin trod carefully, so as not to disturb any loose stones. He peered down at the guards. They were standing uphill from the dim entrance, a non-descript mouth of a cave where the road ended. One of them was armed with a sword, the other a bow. They chatted idly in the light of their shared torch.

Caladuin unshouldered his bow and looked round for Tathariel. She was making headway across the rocks and he glanced back at the guards before turning to catch her up. Bending low, he scampered among the rocks and found Tathariel scrambling up a small ridge. Pouncing from rock to rock he caught her up. As the ground started to rise the rock turned to shale. His foot slipped only slightly but there was a swish of disturbed gravel. They both froze, Tathariel giving him a stern look. Caladuin looked back and down at the guards who had turned. The archer was levelling his bow at Tathariel, who must've presented an easier target. Caladuin instinctively nocked his weapon and fired. The guard staggered back, hunched over, before falling to the ground. The other guard ran off towards the entrance.

"Take him!" Tathariel hissed but Caladuin was already turning to take a shot.

"I think not," said a voice, at once soft and clear.

Caladuin turned.

"You," Tathariel moaned.

A Dark-elf was stood over him, seemingly unarmed. But there were two other Dolendrim flanking the first. They held what appeared to be long thin sticks or pipes to their mouths. Then a foolish thought came to him: this was no time for music. He twisted round as Tathariel gave a little yelp. She was stumbling down the ridge, holding her neck.

He felt a sharp sting at his cheek, then dizziness before the world faded to black.