12

Caladuin rose a couple of hours after star-rise and spent another hour getting ready for the eriel. He decided to heed Tathariel's advice and slipped his iron fist into the breast pocket of his leather jerkin. He sheathed his knife and stowed his bow and quiver under his bed.

He was stoking the fire when there was a knock at the door. Two soft raps. He grasped the poker and half rose from his chair, listening. The door handle turned and he jumped up. Tathariel's face appeared in the gap.

Caladuin relaxed. "You could at least announce yourself."

"Why so nervous?" she said, frowning at the poker. She slipped between the door and the jamb. Her long-knives were sheathed across her back.

"Were you not there when I was nearly gutted by the Dark-elf?"

"Ease yourself, Caladuin. The keeper of the Pelican's Roost is known to me and well-trusted."

"Another attempt on my life was made last evening."

"And mine also." She held up what at first looked like a thin black rope.

"Is that a snake?"

"Arrow snake, very dangerous. It seems that my association with Lethril has caught up with me. There are fell forces at play here, Caladuin. We must be watchful."

"Why do you think I have confined myself to my rooms?"

"A wise policy. Indeed, I was wandering if I might stay here for the foreseeable future. The Blue Dolphin is no longer safe."

Caladuin gestured for her to sit on the bed while he returned to his chair. "Of course. I will sleep on the floor."

She nodded. "I suggest that we conduct our inquiries together from now on."

"A sound proposal. Speaking of which, we should return to the Governor's Halls. I believe our friend Condir cannot be entirely trusted."

"I know he is not to be trusted. Although I do not yet know what his part in all of this is."

"And Noenion?"

"He knows too little to be of any danger but we cannot dismiss him as entirely harmless. He -"

There was a knock at the door. She looked at it then back at Caladuin before rising. He sat forward as she passed him and opened the door. The innkeeper appeared in the doorway.

"Iorlas," she said.

"Tathariel, a message from the Governor. He has asked that you meet Noenion on Othrad Tuilinn in an hour."

"Did you recognise the messenger?"

"A guard from the Halls. I forget is name."

"Thank you, Iorlas." The innkeeper nodded and walked away. She eased the door shut and turned. "Lethril's house."

They left The Pelican's Roost and strolled along busy streets up towards the southern hill, Haramon. The market stalls had been filled with food and wares and the square was filled with Elves drifting from stall to stall. Caladuin showed Tathariel where he had been shot at but the darts had been retrieved.

He needn't have worried that their carrying blades would make them conspicuous: almost everyone he saw wore a knife or even a sword at their side. It was a strange sight and gave him an uneasy feeling, although he somehow felt as though he was not fully dressed without his knife by his side.

Despite the ominous atmosphere, there was music everywhere and the smell of baking bread and cakes drifted from doorways around the square. Tathariel stopped at one of the bakeries and bought a couple of spiced rolls, local delicacies that were new to Caladuin. He sniffed it then took a bite. It was sweet and fluffy with a warm, aromatic flavour.