24

At the Governor's Halls, Caladuin, Tathariel and Noenion were escorted to the stairs leading to Condir's chambers. The guards seemed more relaxed now that the Dolendrim were gone and left them to see themselves up. Tathariel watched them walk back to the entrance hall, chatting and laughing as they went.

After pleasantries had been exchanged, Tathariel and Caladuin sat opposite Condir while Noenion took his place at his shoulder. The Governor poured faegwîn into three small cups then rested the bottle on the table.

"It is heartening to see the town reverting to some kind of normality." He spoke lightly but Tathariel detected an air of agitation in his manner.

"Do you not think it strange that they all left together?" she said.

"What is there to think on? Be glad that they are gone."

"You are glad?" Caladuin said. "Did the Elves of Duinath not bring custom and trade to the Ethirost?"

Condir looked at him blankly. "You know of the ones I speak. Timber merchants are one thing. Those – others - were bad for the town and bad for business."

"Bad for your business?" Tathariel said.

"What do you mean?"

"Did you not profit from their presence? Personally?"

"I do not like your insinuation, elleth. Nor the manner in which it is said."

"But you did take payments from Roscereb."

"Payments? What payments? These accusations are -"

"But it is all here," Tathariel insisted, reaching into her tunic. "In this journal. This is the journal you ordered Noenion to take from Lethril's house is it not?"

Condir was barely containing his outrage. "Let me see," he murmured.

Tathariel leaned forward and held out the journal; Noenion passed it to the Governor. All the colour drained from his face as he stared at the little book. He didn't even need to open it to see what it was.

"So, Tathariel of Arvernien," he said, placing the journal on the table. "It is not only the Dolendrim who are master thieves."

"Is it theft to take back what was stolen from you? Lethril bequeathed all her belongings to me but as you also had the deeds stolen, you already know this. She was investigating any and all nefarious activity in Ethirost. That, unfortunately, includes you, Governor. The payments bought your silence so that Roscereb could continue his smuggling. It is a pity that you did not know what he was smuggling."

Condir leaned back in his chair, smirking. He glanced at Noenion with poison in his eyes.

"A pretty speech, elleth." He gestured towards the journal. "But this is no proof."

"You seem to think so. Proof enough to have it stolen from Lethril's house."

"And what do you think my friend Lord Círdan will have to say of these outrageous, not to mention the King –"

"You have said enough!"

Condir started then a look of indignant rage passed over his face like a cloud.

"Noenion! Make yourself useful. Kill them!"

Noenion stared at the Governor as Tathariel slipped her iron fist on. She sensed Caladuin had tightened up in his chair, ready to pounce.

"Did you not hear me? Kill them! Now!"

Noenion hooked his thumb into his belt, near his knife. A wry smile was lighting his face but behind it there was a hint of pity. "Lethril confronted you about the bribes you were taking from Roscereb," he said softly. "And for that, you had her killed."

The rest happened very quickly.

Condir jumped up and turned towards Noenion. Tathariel sprang to her feet, wearing her iron fist. She sensed Caladuin at her side, knife in hand.

The Governor made a grab for Noenion's knife. But Noenion was quicker. He drew the knife and, pushing Condir back, retreated into the corner of the room. The Governor almost fell across his chair but regained his footing and quickly grabbed the faegwîn bottle from the table.

"Condir!" Caladuin shouted. "Think what you are doing!" The Governor launched himself at Noenion. He swung the bottle in a wide arc but Noenion caught his wrist and stabbed him in the chest. The bottle slipped from Condir's fingers and thudded on the wooden floor. He stepped back, staring at the knife handle sprouting from his chest. Still, the look of outrage burned in his eyes.

"Stand aside, Noenion!" called. "Behind me."

Noenion did not hear. He stood over the Governor as he staggered back then slumped into his chair.

Tathariel slowly approached Noenion and touched him gently on the shoulder. He started and glared at her with glistening eyes, quaking.

"It is over," she said calmly and handed him her kerchief. "Here, wipe your hands."

Condir stared stupidly at the hilt as he slumped to one side. The look of outrage was now that of an injured deer. His face was pallid. There was a long moment of silence before he hissed his last breath.

Tathariel heard footsteps on the stairs below. She took back her kerchief and removed her iron fist; Caladuin was already sheathing his knife. The guards appeared at the top of the stairs then stopped dead as they took in the carnage before them. The leader walked forward, dazed.

"I killed the Governor in self-defence," Tathariel declared, wiping her hands with the kerchief. "Condir was aiding spies in the service of Morgoth. We confronted him with our findings and he tried to stab me with Noenion's knife. I must ride to Menegroth and report to the King forthwith."

The guards stared at her, dumbfounded.

"Bring some boards," Caladuin said wearily. "To move the body."

"Wh- where -" the lead guard stuttered.

"There should be some in the cellar." Noenion said, still dazed.

They gawped at Condir's body.

Caladuin addressed the lead guard. "You," he snapped. That roused him from his dark reverie.

"Fetch the boards. And you, build a pyre." The guards turned and clattered down the stairs.

"I will help them," Noenion croaked and wiped his eyes with the back of his cuff.

After the footsteps were no longer heard, Caladuin spoke. "The source of the Grey Pearl died with Amlug. But these guards might start asking questions."

"Perhaps. They may be of better use in Eglarest than here."

"I will take them with me."

Tathariel picked up the journal from the table and slipped it into her tunic. She would throw it on the funeral pyre later. She stood closely by Caladuin's side, gazing at Condir's body.

"If Morgoth ever came south, if he reached Duinath, he would surely learn of the Grey Pearl."

Caladuin nodded grimly.

"Cala, you must see that we cannot tell Círdan or Thingol anything this."

"Perhaps they already know," Caladuin answered. "Perhaps it is the passage south that they are defending."