Chapter 8 - Shattered

[484 Word Count]

Ren received a call from Doc. He was going to leave it yet he felt something was off so he answered. Only to hear, "Ren I need-". Doc was cut off by abrupt coughing or choking - it was hard to tell through the phone. Ren was in shock and before he could think he was running to Doc's house hoping he'd be there . As he got to the gate he saw that Doc choking at his front door Cookie and Gingerbread on the inside calling out to try and comfort him presumably. "DOC I'M COMING DON'T WORRY." Ren rushed to his side only to see rose petals. Ren used the Heimlich maneuver on him to try and help. After 90 seconds he the Thorn rose fell to the floor. Doc gasped for air as he looked up at Ren in despair. "I... He...". Ren new the end of the sentence and stopped him and hugged him. "How about we go inside for some privacy before someone sees us" Ren suggested. Doc could only nod weakly in agreement. As soon as Ren opened the door out came cookie and Gingy licking Doc's biological arm. Ren nudged them back in the house as he brought doc inside. After resting doc on the couch he looked at his biological arm. It had about five Red roses blooming another starting to bloom under his chin on the side of his neck.

Ren could only grew upset as he couldn't help much more than anyone else. All he could think of what to say was, "you better not die because of one short guy when so many people care about you." Doc could only smile at the gesture before starting to cough lightly. "Dammit Doc, I never wanted to see this day. I just wanted you to be Happy. Even if it meant distancing myself from you. I wanted you to have that solid chance. If I new how incompetent he could be I would've confessed sooner...", Doc coughed harder this time as his eyes widened in shock. "If you die I don't know what I'd do." Tears started to run down Ren's face as he leaned his forehead lightly against Doc's chest. Out of instinct. The flower on doc's neck had fully bloomed. Doc couldn't speak but pulled Ren into what he thinks to be a final hug. Almost like he's trying to apologies. Ren just cried as Gingy jumped on Ren's back protectivly while cookie helplessly nuzzled Doc's hand that was of the couch. "I guess I could say I like someone who will never like me back."

Doc's coughing started to die down and the flowers had stopped growing although went unnoticed. Doc still couldn't speak but he had so much to say to Ren. He could finally  breathe as he loss his conscience. "Doc?... Doc please don't leave me. Please....."