All I Want : Part Two

There's this girl in the play. She plays my sort-of best friend. Her character is an absolute killjoy, but she plays the part so well. I'm impressed, to say the least. She's very shy, and doesn't have very many friends. I see her around campus sometimes, but usually after school, when the cast and crew practice for the our spring musical. I've talked to her lots of times, but she's kind of awkward. There's something behind her that I just don't get. She's absolutely in love with James Dean and James Bond. Sometimes, now, I wish my name was James, but it's not. At least it starts with a J. But I still feel as if she's hiding something.

I know her brother plays for our fencing team. He's in my math and chemistry class. He's funny but not idiotic; and his name is known but he's not cocky. She on the other hand always seems so depressed; like she wears a smile but under her skin, she's stressed and emotional. She's so polite to random strangers, and is nice to the general population, yet she's sort-of known me for about four years and she barely says a word until I ask her a direct question. I think once you got to know her, she'd be this sarcastic, awkward mess and you'd love it. I think I would. It'd be an honor to know her.

Today she wasn't at lunch, but I saw her walking out of advisory in the morning and then down the hallway two periods later. I made the excuse that I had a big breakfast and a snack, and left. I wasn't going to try and find her or anything; I was just taking a walk around campus. But there she was; on a secluded iron bench, doing something in a notebook. Writing? Drawing? Both?

Hey.
Hey. She didn't need to look up to tell it was me.
Whatchya' doing?
Drawing.
Drawing what?
Nothing. Her cheeks turned red.
Are you going to the cue-to-cue rehearsal on Sunday?
Yeah. Well, that was a stupid thing to ask. Of course she is.
Are you?
Wouldn't miss it. She didn't answer, only a small smile showing when she nodded.
Mind if I sit here?
Sure. I really just wanted to get her to talk. But about what?
So, how's life? She's two years younger than me and I barely get a word out of her; what was I to say?

There are four parts to this small story, just letting you know. Please keep the support up, I really do appreciate it. :)