I Envy the Sea Lions

"This is just pairrr-fect," the manticore gloated.

       If I had never seen him before, I would've just thought he was another homeless man. His clean cut had grown out, causing his greasy hair to jut out in a strange pattern. I couldn't tell whether it was dirt on his chin or stubble. He still wore his Westover Hall uniform, beaten and ripped from our fight. Still, in his tattered state, he looked down on us in victory.

     "Long ago, the gods banished me to Persia," the manticore said.

     "Oh no, he's gonna start his villain monologue," I muttered to Percy.

    Dr, Thorn either didn't hear me or chose to ignore me. "I was forced to scrounge for food on the edges of the world, hiding in forests, devouring insignificant human farmers for my meals. I never got to fight any great heroes. I was not feared and admired in the old stories! But now that will change. The Titans shall honor me, and I shall feast on the flesh of half-bloods!"

   "Where... where are the skeletons?" Percy seemed to have missed the whole evil backstory.

     He sneered. "I do not need those foolish undead! The General thinks I am worthless? He will change his mind when I defeat you myself!"

    Percy looked towards the sea, probably contemplating how we could all escape, with Bessie. The manticore had mortal guards flanking him, it was very unlikely we could get out fighting.

   "We beat you once before," Percy reminded him.

    "Ha! You could barely fight me with a goddess on your side. And, alas... that goddess is preoccupied at the moment. There will be no help for you now."

      Zoë reached for her bow and aimed an arrow at Dr. Thorn's head.

    "Wait!" Percy said. "Zoë, don't!"

    "The boy is right, Zoe Nightshade," Dr. Thorn smirked. "Put away your bow. It would be a shame to kill you before you witnessed Thalia's great victory."

    "What are you talking about?" Thalia sounded angry. She had taken out her spear and pointed it at the monster's chest.

     "Surely it is clear," the manticore said. "This is your moment. This is why Lord Kronos brought you back to life. You will sacrifice the Ophiotaurus. You will bring its entrails to the sacred fire on the mountain. You will gain unlimited power. And for your sixteenth birthday, you will overthrow Olympus."

     Silence. It all fit together in horrible irony. In two days, Thalia would turn sixteen, just like the prophecy said. A child of the Big Three, to save or destroy Olympus. It wasn't Percy or me. And it wasn't to be saved.

     What worried me was Thalia's face. I would've expected her to immediately reject his offer and start fighting. But she contemplated it like it was a hard choice.

     What scared me even more? I knew it was a hard choice.

     "You know it is the right choice," the manticore baited her on. "Your friend Luke recognized it. You shall be reunited with him. You shall rule this world together under the auspices of the Titans. Your father abandoned you, Thalia. He cares nothing for you. And now you shall gain power over him. Crush the Olympians underfoot, as they deserve. Call the beast! It will come to you. Use your spear."

    "Thalia," Percy said, desperately, "snap out of it!"

     It was easy for him to only see one option. He hadn't felt the abandonment Thalia and I had. He had a good mom. Poseidon checked up on him. He didn't understand how important this was.