Chapter 18: Getting ready for Nationals

The next morning, it was the first day of rehearsals as the time was 8:00 am and Dominic was in his hotel room asleep and the alarm on his phone, which played and that had Dominic awake from his slumber as he got his phone and turned off the alarm off. He got out of the bed and headed to the closet.

"What to wear?" Dominic wondered to himself, then he chose a red tanktop, black trackpants and Adidas adisage sandals. He took a shower, brushed his teeth and put his clothes on. He got his hotel card key, phone and mp3 player and made his way to the elevator, which took him to the lobby and there he saw Abby and Gianna talking about Nationals.

"Hey mom, Hey Gia." Dominic greeted.

"Hey, there, Domino." Abby responded.

"How are you this morning?" Gianna asked.

"Doing good." Dominic stated.

"We've been waiting for you so we can head out to the studio where we'll be rehearsing." Gianna said.

"Since you're here, we can roll."

"Ready to roll when you two are."

With that, he, Abby and Gianna all exited the hotel and got into a taxi van and they were on their way to the studio.

15 minutes later, Abby, Dominic and Gianna arrived at the Off Broadway Dance Studio, a dance studio where the ALDC would be rehearsing for Nationals.

"Like usual, we're the first ones here." Dominic commented.

"We sure are." Abby said. "Let's get prepared."

Dominic helped Abby with the pyramid and checked on the music with Gianna and with that, everything was set for rehearsals as the girls and moms had all arrived minutes later.

"Come on girls, get in gear! Let's Go!" Abby shouted as the girls and moms all came in.

"Here we are in New Orleans, Louisiana aka the big easy." Dominic said as the girls clapped. "It's filled with history and you're here to dance and win. And like the Saints chant, Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat say they gonna beat them ALDC?"

"Nobody!" Abby, Gianna, the moms and girls all responded and then pyramid was over.

"All right." Abby said. "We'll be doing a tribute to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated this city 8 years prior and Dominic and Gianna both came up with the concept of the piece, which is known as Home Again."

The girls and moms all smiled at Gianna and Dominic.

"For the soloists, we're gonna do something a little different as everybody will be learning a solo for Nationals. Brooke, you and Payton will be learning the same routine, Nia and Paige, you'll be learning the same choreography and Maddie, you'll be thrown in there was well and tomorrow, we'll be determining who will get the solos." Dominic informed. "So if you want to be here and be on this team, you're gonna have to be the absolute best that you can be! Moms, no squabbling and keep your big ol' bloomers on."

Abby howled with laughter at the comment her son made and so did Gianna and the girls as the moms looked at him like he had gone nuts, but Christi, Melissa and Kristie tried not to laugh.

"Good one, DoDo." Abby laughed, then she cleared her throat. "Girls, spread apart and moms, head out."

The moms headed into another room as the girls warmed up to rehearse for the group dance.

"I love how every single kid is getting to learn a solo this week." Jill commented. "But the problem is, is that half the girls who are learning a solo and wasting practice time on a solo that they aren't going to do."

"You know Abby loves to make things a challenge and half the girls will be in the group at least, so that's better than nothing." Christi stated.

"Well said." Melissa agreed.

"Yeah." Kelly said.

"You know we've got a lot of pressure since Cathy and her crew are here." Leslie told them.

"The girls can do it and beat Cathy down and i don't have a clue on who's choreographing for them now." Kristie commented.

"You've got to have good dancers and Abby has those. Dominic, Gianna and the faculty help her out and that's all we need." Leslie stated.

"Question, are you excited about Payton?" Melissa asked Leslie, who was grinning as Jill looked at her like she had gone cuckoo. "We know you wanted Payton to have a solo and you have wanted it for a while."

"I sure do." Leslie responded.

"If Abby and Dominic are giving out X many of solos, i find it wrong that'd Abby and her son would give one of those spots to Payton." Jill griped as the moms all rolled their eyes.

"To be honest, i think it's official that we're on the team." Leslie retorted. "And i don't care if i'm on your team or not. We're here and if she's got the chance to do a solo, let her do a solo."

"Will you stop the complaining? Abby and Dominic should pick the dancers who are going to win for them." Kristie told Leslie and Jill., then the girls had their dance offs.

The next day, Abby, Dominic and Gianna made their decisions on who would be doing a solo. The winner of the Mackenzie vs Asia dance off was Asia and even though Mackenzie was a little dejected over not getting the Dance Doctor solo for Nationals, she was happy for Asia. For the Brooke vs Payton dance off, Brooke was chosen as the winner of her dance off against Payton for the solo called 10,000 miles and Payton was happy for her. Chloe was chosen as the winner of the dance off between her and Kendall for the solo VooDoo Doll and that didn't sit well with Jill whatsoever and for the dance off for the solo Amazing Grace, Maddie was chosen as the winner of the dance off between her, Paige and Nia. So that means Dance Doctor went to Asia, 10,000 Miles went to Brooke, VooDoo Doll went to Chloe and Amazing Grace went to Maddie as Nia, Paige, Kendall, Payton and Mackenzie would be in the group dance with them.

(Brooke's solo costume for 10,000 miles: Dress with sequin spandex with power mesh overlay, keyhole opening in back with g-hook closure, ruched power mesh waist inset with beaded applique, asymmetrical power mesh skirt with cascade ruffle and attached spandex trunks with.)