Cuddles

So here's the thing, it comes to a point in life when you love someone so much it hurts but you hold on because the love is so refreshing, the love comes out of nowhere and hits you like a wave it goes like this;

"Grey, good morning." I hear a thick Irish accent call from behind me while I was standing at the nurses station. With out tuning around I call back "good morning doctor Hayes." He walks up next to me and puts a cup down I turn to see his face. "Tea, no milk or sugar." I smile and gently lean closer to him so that my shoulder taps his "thank you." I say. "Sure. I thought you weren't coming in till later?" Doctor Hayes question. Talking a sip of my tea I nod. "Yes but I got paged. I am now going to find an empty on call room so I can sleep." I respond turning on my heels to walk to the elevator. "Well, I have to check on a patient." Doctor Hayes says following me. I chuckle "Mhm" I say. "It's true a four year old, emergency appendectomy." He says walking up to the elevator pressing the button. I gasp "on a four year old?" I ask surprised and excited. "Yes Doctor grey, would you like to scrub in?" He asks. "Of course I would." I reply as the door to the elevator opens. Doctor Hayes steps to the side and let's me enter first "thank you Doctor Hayes." I say walking in "sure." He replies. The door closes "I would love to have you in my surgery grey that is unless you are to tired." He says gently bumping into my side like I had to him earlier. "Very funny Doctor Hayes." I reply, he smiles. "So why did you get paged so early?" He asks. We do this thing where we talk about our patients with each other, it helps us bounce ideas around. "Twenty-seven year old emergency Whipple and free fluid in the abdomen." I respond. Doctor Hayes turns and looks at me "at five in the morning?" He questions. "Doctor Hayes, pain and injuries don't care what time it is." I reply he chuckles "yes Doctor grey I know that. But what happened to your patient at five in the morning that lead them to need a Whipple?" He questions. "She got in a car accident." I answer. "Ahhh." He says nodding.

"So Doctor grey have any funny stories about appendectomies?" Doctor Hayes asks as we work on his patient. I chuckle a little "first day of my intern year. My friend was chosen to do his first appendectomy and messed up so everyone called him double oh seven." I reply Doctor Hayes laughs. "Oh my goodness what did he say about that?" He asks. Smiling under my mask "he hated it." I reply. "Hated? Do people not call him that anymore?" Doctor Hayes questions looking up at me "suction! Thank you." I say before replying to him "uh no we still call him double oh seven but he died." I reply. "3.0 prolene" I say to Bokhee. "Oh uh I'm- im sorry." Doctor Hayes replies I smile and he can tell. "Hayes it's okay. He jumped in front of a bus to save a women's life. I miss him, we were friends but I'm okay with talking about it." I respond. Doctor Hayes just nods. "Doctor O'Malley, he was nice." Bokhee cuts in. I nod still smiling "yes he was." I look back up at Hayes as his pinky brushes up against mine. "Uh okay helm can you close?" I ask Doctor helm nods "yes I would love to." She replies I smile and then walk back into the scrub room, Doctor Hayes follows. "Thank you for your help in there grey." He says as we both scrub. "You're welcome." I reply. He turns to look at me. My eyes lock with his, "sorry about your friend." He says. "It fine Doctor Hayes, really." I reply. We finish scrubbing and I walk out. I walk into an empty on call room to sleep for a few more hours. I lay down on the bed and then the door opens it was Doctor Hayes. "Oh sorry I didn't know you were in here I- I'll leave." He says. I smile and roll over so I'm facing him "Doctor Hayes, there are four beds. You don't have to leave. You can but you don't have to." I reply. I was laying on my side with my hands under my head. He smiles at me "okay." He says and lays on the bed directly across from me. Our eyes lock again. He was laying the same way I was. "Grey?" He calls. "Mhm?" I hum back because I was too tired to actually respond. "Never mind." He says. I smile. "Hayes, what is your deal today? You have been very distant ever since the O.R" I question. He just shakes his head "nothing" he replies.

I wanted to ask Doctor grey to lay with me but left like that would have been over stepping. Our eyes were just locked on each other and with out thinking I feel my mouth open "Doctor grey, do you want to lay with me. Just cuddle, nothing else." Oh my god, I feel a rush of warmth and can tell my face was getting red. Doctor grey chuckles. "Sure Doctor Hayes." She replies as she gets up and walks over to my bed. She lays down facing me. I wrap my arm around her. "Just cuddles huh?" She say. I smile "just cuddles." I copy. "Hm" she says. I smile and narrow my eyebrows "what does that mean?" I ask. "Nothing..." she replies as she moves closer to me putting her head and hand in my chest. "Thanks for the cuddles Hayes." She says. "Anytime." I reply. I was messing with her hair as she fell asleep on me. After about thirty minutes she wakes up, she looks up at me. "Hi." She says till sleepy and smiles. "Hey." I say softly. I touch her cheek and she leans her head into my hand a little. "Did you sleep?" She asks. "Yes." I say. I lied but if she knew I stayed awake she would have felt bad. She place her head back on my chest. "Grey?" I ask softly. "Yeah?" She answers. I sigh a little "can we do this more often?" I ask. That's not what I was going to ask her originally, I was going to say 'I want to kiss you so bad right now.' But I didn't want to over step so I went with the other question. She chuckles "I'd like that." She says. I mover her hair out of her face, and start playing with it again. "Okay." I reply as we both get paged.

AUTHORS NOTE/:/:/:/
I really like this story so far and I feel like it's off to a good start. How do you feel about it?