34

Hindi na lang ako umimik nang mapansing natigilan siya sa tanong ko. Why am I even talking to him like this? Why am I even have the guts of asking him about his reaction if I go somewhere far? Of course, I am the least of his concern now.

Ako rin. I should mind my own business for I have still a lot of things to do. I need to decide whether to accept that invitation to be an intern in New Zealand or just stay here for a weeks and go back to Manila again.

I am filled up with overflowing questions when he casually shifts on his seat, eyeing me meaningfully, as if thinking about my question earlier. He shouldn't be bothered by that creepy question anyway, since he has an incoming marriage.

Nagiging mapait na ampalaya na naman ako.

"Aaalis ka?" he asks nonchalantly. "When? Saan? Bakit?"

"It's confidential," I scoff. "You don't need to know about my whereabouts. And at the same time, you should be happy knowing I am not going to be an intruder to your relationship with Janna."

"You really are misunderstanding everything. 'Bat ayaw mo muna akong pakinggan?" His eyes twinkle, a mixture of irritation and amusement covering his orbs. I don't know if that sight makes any sense but all I care the most is the way his lips move to form a straight line. "Eat up. Puwede mo akong tanungin ng kung ano... Ngayon, Marynald."

My brows furrow, a soft sensation touching my chest. "Questions? Can I? Talaga? Sigurado ka? Baka magsisi ka sa huli." Namungay ang mga mata ko. This is it. After for so many years, I finally have the chance to spill my feelings out.  But something is telling me to back off. Kaya ko ba? Kaya ko bang pakinggan ang mga isasagot niya? What if may mga pinaniwalaan lang pala 'ko? Papaano kung...?

"But I want a compensation as well," he says again, his right brow tugging up. "Ask me. And I will ask you too. Sasagutin kita, at sasagutin mo 'ko."

"Well," I tremble. Of course, he becomes wiser. He won't let me ask him without an exchange. Though I need to put myself in his words. I need to try. At least, try. I have been hiding myself for a years, maybe it's time to set myself out of my comfort zone.

"That's also fine. Both of us can benefit," mahina kong sabi habang tumatango. He chuckles softly at my words. I almost scoffed at his reaction he is giving to me.  "I mean, both of us can get an answer from each other."

Sabay kaming napaayos ng upo, at napatawa na lang ako sa loob-loob ko. Hindi ko alam kung sino sa 'ming dalawa ang unang magtatanong, kaya hinintay ko na lang siyang magsalita.

"You ask first," he disturbs my running thoughts. "You can ask consecutively 'tapos sasagutin kita." With that being said, he clicks his tongue with the roof of his mouth. He seems anxious to know everything related to me. What's more, he also seems like he is readying himself. At mas naramdaman ko pa ang pagkasabik ng sistema ko.

"Ano..." I whisper under my breath. Due to the sudden tension building up inside me, it's too hard to mutter even a single word. I do my best nevertheless. This is my chance. Ilang taon ko 'tong hinintay. "About sa scholarship, did you reject it, o tinanggap mo?"

"I accepted it," he answers and tilts his head sideways, his eyes glimmering under the strike of rays coming from the open windows just beside us. "May nagsabi sa 'king 'wag ko 'yung i-reject."

Masaya akong napatango. I am proud of him. I thought he had rejected that scholarship. Noong una pa lang, alam kong makakabuti 'yun sa kaniya. He deserves to be successful. Because of his kindness, bravery and intelligence, he deserves the success he has now. After all, even though I ruined him before, his current state is the emblem that my actions still have positive effects.