Chapter 1 ~ Return to California

"Smog." Marie stated, holding her bag in hand. Her nose was crinkled in slight disgust, but there was a gentle smile on her face. As bad as the air in California was, it was still home.

"Smells like home, huh?" Daniel asked, his tone happier than Marie's was.

"Daniel-san, why mother not here to meet you? You tell her right flight number?" Mr Miyagi asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I told her the right flight. I just told her the wrong day. I told her we were coming in tomorrow. She loves surprises." Marie shook her head at Daniel, smiling as she put her bag down.

"Hope so. What about you Marie-san?" Mr Miyagi asked.

"My mom and Mr Harris are on a cruise, remember? They'll be back next week." Marie replied.

"Tell mother about scar?" Marie ran her hand over the bandage covering the large cut over her collarbone that would most definitely become a large scar.

"I may have given the impression that it's a cut." Marie replied nonchalantly, making Mr Miyagi shake his head.

"Children." He muttered. "We take taxi apartment house. Then Miyagi go back to work." Marie smiled, sticking out her hand to hail a taxi. It was nice to be home.

~ ~

As the cab pulled up to the apartments, Marie's eyes widened at the sight in front of her. As the trio left the taxi, Marie almost bumped into Ms Milo, who held her dogs leash in on hand with a few bags in the other.

"What are you doing in my cab?" Her tone was quite accusatory, making Marie raise an eyebrow.

"We just came from the airport." Marie replied.

"I thought that was the cab I ordered." Ms Milo explained, still sounding like she was accusing the three.

"Mrs. Milo, what's going on?" Daniel asked, closing the taxi door behind him.

"What does it seem? Progress. I got a message for you from your mother." Before Marie Milo could relay the message, she was distracted. "I told you that bum would sell the place and you'd be out of a job someday. You wouldn't listen to me."

Too much was happening at once for Marie to completely follow, but all she heard was 'out of a job' as MsMilo pointed at Mr Miyagi. "What's the message?" Daniel asked, impatient as Ms Milo focused her attention elsewhere.

"What message?"

"The one from my mother." Daniel reminded.

"She said call her at your Uncle Louie's." Marie looked at Mr Miyagi, pinching the bridge of her nose as Ms Milo pushed past them to get to the cab.

"We should've stayed in Okinawa." She muttered with a sigh.

"Hai."

~ ~ ~ ~

Marie looked down at the dead bonsai in front of her sadly as Mr Miyagi spoke to Mrs LaRusso over the phone. The small trees that she and Mr Miyagi worked so hard on, dead in less than two months.

"Welcome. Bye-bye. Here Daniel-san." Marie picked up the bonsai in front of her and walked past Daniel, bringing it to the yellow pickup. She pushed inside the tailgate. She frowned at the small trees inside, their barren limbs and dried leaves making her sigh.

Daniel and Mr Miyagi joined her outside as Marie counted to bonsai before shaking her head. "There's one missing." She stated, turning to face the two.

"The little maple's still in there. I'll get it." Mr Miyagi stopped, shaking his head.

"No. I go." Marie gave a sad smile as Mr Miyagi walked back into the apartment area. She leaned against the tailgate, waiting for Mr Miyagi.

"Should we go check on him?" Daniel finally asked after a while.

"Probably." Marie replied, pushing herself off the tailgate. The pair walked into the apartment complex and into Mr Miyagi's back room, spying Mr Miyagi standing in the room with the little maple in his hand.

"Mr. Miyagi, you okay?" Daniel asked, looking curiously at Mr Miyagi.

"Just remembering." Mr Miyagi replied sadly. Marie frowned looking around the room as well. There were so many memories in this room. Where her and Mr Miyagi first met, where they first cut bosnia's and where he finally agreed to teach both Maire and Daniel karate.

"Lots of memories here." Marie stated, frowning a bit.

"So what are you going to do now?" Daniel asked as Mr Miyagi walked around.

"Don't know." Mr Miyagi replied, looking at the maple in his hand.

"Well, did you ever think about opening a bonsai store?" Daniel asked as Mr Miyagi began walking to the door.

"Hai, Daniel-san. In my dream. In my retirement." Mr Miyagi stated, stopping.

"What do you call this?" Daniel asked, gesturing to the empty room.

"Call "time to go. " Mr Miyagi spoke, pushing the door open and leaving. Marie frowned, walking up to the wind chimes in front of the door. She grabbed a small pole, lifting it up and unclipping the small wind chimes swaying above, following after Mr Miyagi.

~ ~ ~ ~

Ooh, I'm so excited to start!!