12.

Flashback

"Did you grab the car keys?!" My mom's voice rings from the kitchen as I poke my head out of my bedroom.

"Yeah!" I call back.

"Do you have your phone?"

"Got it."

The knock at the front door causes me to groan in annoyance, I know I'll have to get that since my mom is too busy in the kitchen making breakfast.
As I open the front door my stand greets me as he walks into the living room with a brown paper bag in his hand.

"I brought donuts!" He calls out loudly; he must not see me. I chuckle and cross my arms.

"Dad, I'm right here."

"Well I know that, but Carl and your mom aren't." He responds casually. My mom and Carl come into the living room as Carl smiles happily.

"Dad! Did you get the chocolate glazed?" He asks in a cheerful tone. My dad hands him a chocolate glazed donut as Carl takes a bite out of it.
My mom and dad both exchange glances as my mom looks at him displeased.

"Molly, baby, why don't you go take Carl to get his backpack." My mom suggests but I know it's an order, I nod my head.

"C'mon..." I say to him as we begin walking out of the room. We reach Carl's room as he puts some of his journals in his backpack. I poke my head out of the door and listen to the sound of my parents' voice coming from the living room.

"Why can't you just say thank you?" My dad says softly.

"You're joking right? You know I make breakfast for the kids every morning. See? This is what I'm talking about, you don't listen. Nor do you pay attention." My mom's voice responds in irritation. I frown softly, I know it's wrong to eavesdrop but I can't help myself. It's no secret that my parents have been having problems. I love them both, but sometimes I wish my mom could be a little more understanding toward my dad.

"Lori that's a lie. I listen to you all the time, I do everything I can for this family and especially to see all of you happy." My dad responds defensively but I can tell he's trying to keep his voice down so Carl and I don't hear the conversation. My mom not so much.

"Now who's lying? See this is the only time you ever actually speak your mind, when we're fighting." She scoffs.

"Lori, I'm trying here. I'm really trying to make this work, but it feels like everything I'm trying you're just rejecting."
Carl suddenly walks out of the bedroom as I follow after him. My parents turn their heads to look at us both, my mom turns back to face my dad with her hands on her hips as she looks at him disapprovingly.

"You know, sometimes I wonder if you ever care about us at all." My jaw drops at her words. I look over to see Carl who has a serious expression on his face. His blue eyes have a sadness to them, for a moment I think about saying something but I decided against it.

"Come on, Carl. We gotta get you to school. Love you, Molly." My mom says as she places a kiss on my head. I watch as she walks out of the door with Carl leaving my dad and I standing there in silence.
I turn to look at my dad as he looks down at me, his eyes are sad as well.

"Dad... I'm really sorry." My voice comes out quiet. I know I don't have anything to apologize for but I want to apologize. He tries so hard to make my mom smile but lately things haven't been going well between them.
He gives me a nod before turning around and walking out of the room. A sigh leaves my lips as I grab my car keys and get in my car to drive to school.