CHAPTER 6

"I'm excited to see you too, Dahlia."

Holding my phone, I rolled myself on the bed and lie with my stomach. Inayos ko ng tapat ang aking mukha sa screen ng cellphone at pinanuod ang mga kilos ni Dahlia.

She continued talking to me while doing her night routine. I supposed, the gadget she's using in calling me through a video chat was placed on her bed kaya kahit palakad-lakad sya'y hagip pa rin siya sa angulo ng camera. From her walk-in closet, Dahlia sit in front of the vanity mirror and started drying her wet hair with a hair dryer. She was still on her robe.

"May bar and clubs na ba sa Nueva Caceres?"

I rolled my eyes on her question. "The last time you were here was almost a decade na, Dahlia. Nueva Caceres has gotten along with times. So yes, dear cousin, Nueva Caceres has bars and clubs including hotels."

She chuckled. "Aside from Maschera,
the only thing that excites me in going there is being reunited with you and my other cousins. It's good to hear that Nueva has bars, at least, may night life pa rin kami ni Emiranda pagdating dyan."

"You won't be bored when you're here, Dahl. There's so much you can do here."

I saw her rolled her eyes through her reflection on the mirror. "I'm sorry, Lucy, but horseback riding, trekking and such adventures on a countryside are not my cup of tea. You know that too well."

The main reason to why Dahlia and her family will be here next week is to attend the Maschera, a masquerade ball that is held once in every decade. Ang selebrasyong ito ay pinangungunahan ng mga Altamontejo. It has been a traditional occasion practiced by the very first clan of our family that has been passed from generation to generation. Maschera isn't exclusive. It's open to all the residents of Nueva Caceres. Everyone is allowed to attend, nabibilang man sa alta sociedad o hindi.

Perhaps, they will only stay here for a week. Knowing Auntie Aurelia, kahit naman gusto nito sa mga countryside for its calm ambiance, hindi nito basta-bastang naiiwan ang mga negosyo sa Nevada. She doesn't trust other people to handle her business given that it's really hard to earn her trust. Kung may pinagkakatiwalaan man sya ng lubusan, si Tito Pacifico 'yon.

"A woman like me belongs to the city that never sleeps, Lucy."

I sighed. Dahlia doesn't see herself living in countrysides. She's more alive on cities. In fact, nong bumisita ito sa Nueva Caceres which is almost a decade ago, everytime we convinced her to trek and try horseback riding, we always failed. On the other hand, Emiranda can take both city and countrysides. Nakikita ko kasi na mas nag-eenjoy si Emiranda sa stay nya dito kaysa kay Dahlia. Though Dahlia is happy when she's with us, her cousins, but we're always away on adventure together at ito nama'y nagpapaiwan lang sa mansion.

But well, now that there are clubs and bars here, I'm sure Dahlia won't bore herself to death in her stay here.

"You're going out again tonight?" Puna ko when she started applying make-up. She faced me and winked.

"Guess who's gonna sneak out tonight?"

I just shook my head. "You're an inevitable woman, Dahlia."

I heard someone knock on the background. Ilang sandali pay lumitaw si Emiranda.

"You won't lie low, would you?" Bungad ni Emiranda sa kapatid, "Mom has been suspecting us, Dahlia. Patay tayo when she'll caught us in the act."

"Exactly, Anda. So habang di pa ako nahuhuli, I'll sneak out again. I won't be able to do this once we get caught. At kung mahuli man ako, I'll have no regrets because I was happy." May pait sa pagkakabigkas ni Dahlia, "Oh, by the way, say hi to Lucy." She pointed me using her pink painted lips.