CHAPTER 15

Happy Holidays, diamonds!

-

Kung nakakamatay lang ang matatalim na tingin, Monica could have killed me. She has been darting me with her deadly gaze from the veranda of Riyena's house. Although I wasn't paying attention to her because she's not worth my glance, ramdam ko matalim nyang pagtitig. I decided to stay inside the car. Nanatiling nakakabukas ang lahat ng pinto for the fresh air to come through. I don't want to go back inside dahil nandon si Monica who knows she might display her bleeding finger again para magpa-awa kay Sandro. I groaned inwardly at that thought.

"Ayos ka lang ba talaga, hija?" Nag-aalalang tanong ni Riyena. She has been going in and outside to check on me. I could see how genuinely worried she was and I felt bad for it.

"I'm fine." I reassured with a smile. "Please go back inside the house, Lola Riyena. Kanina pa po kayo pabalik-balik dito. You must be tired."

"Sigurado ka bang ayaw mong pumasok sa loob? Pwede kang magpahinga muna sa silid ni Sandro."

I failed to suppress my gasp thinking I'd be resting on Sandro's room.

"I'm..." I paused upon thinking of being able to use Sandro's pillow, blanket and mattress. "I'm really just f-fine, Lola. Thank you. I just had to make sure I look totally fine before going home so that my family won't be worried kaya magpapalipas lang po ako ng ilang minuto dito, but I'll go later. I really just came her to give you the cake."

I sighed as those words came out from my mouth. Damn. That wasn't me. Luzeda Xiamara would never decline the chance to get personal with Sandro's belongings. Hindi ko alam kung wala pa ba ako sa tamang katinuan or maybe I was really not just in the mood for everything because of what happened.

"So, trying to win Lola Riyena's side huh." Monica found the chance to come near me and taunted me when Riyena went inside the house.

"I know you like, Sandro, Lucy. But you have to wake up from that infatuation, little brat. Isa kang Altamontejo pero nagmumukha kang desperada. You're tainting your family's name, dear."

Naalala ko ang pangayayari kaninang kasama ko sa kotse si Sandro. Isa sa mga bagay na napag-usapan namin ay kung bakit malapit si Monica at ang kanyang abuela.

"You didn't tell me that Monica Natividad is close to your family." I said in a monotone. Nakasandal ang aking ulo sa kanyang kaliwang balikat while I was hugging his arm. Hindi ko naman siya nakitaan ng pagtutol sa aking ginawa.

"Does it matter?"

"It doesn't." Pina-ikot ko ang mata. "Monica can be a friend to the president of the country for the hell I care." Rudeness was dripping on my tone. "I just didn't expect it. It doesn't look like your family was close with hers judging by how you deal with her. If it had not been for Monica's extra efforts to get near you, you won't even acknowledge the poor woman's presence. It always seemed like you're just obliged to reply because she's talking to you and you don't want to be rude by ignoring her. It was manners and that's it. Ang pakikitungo mo sa kanya appears like a plain act of chivalry."

"Plain act of chivalry." He echoed amusedly. The corner of his lips curled up into a mixed mocking and seductive smile. He titled his head para dungawin ako ng tingin. "Then tell me, Lucy..." He intrigued, "Paano nagkakaiba ang pakikitungo ko sa inyong dalawa ni Monica?"

Doon ako natilihan. Is there... a difference? Does how he deal with me a plain act of chivalry as well? I smiled bitterly when I realized that what I said about Monica also described me best. If it not had been for my efforts to talk to him, to get near him, the hell Sandro would notice me. He's the type of guy who would just passed me by without giving me a glance. Of all people, sa kanya lang yata hindi gumagana ang charm ko and I hate it! All my life I can get anything that I want in a blink. Money, attention, things. Name all of it. Lahat possible dahil sa apleyedong nakakabit sa pangalan ko and of course the good genes of Altamontejos! That is why I hate how it takes me a lot of effort just so I could get Sandro's attention!