🔥5🔥

Above is Mary

______________________________________

||****||

(Emy’s phone rings)

“Hello mom, it’s been a while.” She said after picking up the call “How are you enjoying Paris?” Emy asked gleefully.

It’s been five months since Mr. and Mrs. Garrick; Emy’s parents, went to Paris, to see how well their branch hotel was doing. The Garrick family owns the luxurious five star Hotel in Cleavon town called the comfort Zone and a branch in Paris. Which is also as opulent as the one the Cleavon town.

The Garrick family were  wealthy, charitable, friendly and supportive. And right now, Emy is very excited to hear from her mom.

“Fine dear, hopefully by the end of this month we should be coming home. How are you? School and you know who?” Her mom asked.

“Fine mom and you know what is perfect? Mr. O’Donnell is celebrating their anniversary next week Saturday. The whole town would be there.” Emy informed her.

“Oh, that is true I almost forgot, I’ll call Linda to know how far she has gone with the preparation. Thanks a lot dear and take care of yourself, ok?”

“Ok mom, my regards to dad, Emy said.

“He will hear as soon as he returns. So, darling, any update? Your dad would like to know too.” Her mother asked quite specifically knowing her daughter was aware of what she was asking.

“No update yet, mom. But we have a lot to discuss when you and dad returns.” She assured.

Emy made sure the tempo of her voice was loud whenever she said 'mom' or 'dad'. This attracted eyes from the students around her, but she didn't mind.  For every weird stare they gave,  she assured them with a smile.

“Ok, bye dear, love you.”

“Love you too mom.” Emy said then, hung up. Letting out a soft sigh,  she muttered "The hour is near." She smiled at her phone.

“Hey Emy love, what’s up with you?” Jolting her out of her thoughts, Emy turned around to confirm the voice. Mary.

Mary Smith is Emy's bff, they tell each other everything, and apparently some things are best left unsaid in their relationship.

Mary was simple but not slow or retarded; she was sophisticated, brilliant, friendly and always a cheerful soul. The kind of soul that Emy liked.

“You look good and you are glowing today what’s the secret?” Emy asked her friend who could not stop smiling.

“Andrew asked me out!” Mary announced ecstatically. Squeezing Emy's palm as she struggled not to scream.

“Arrrgh, that’s good news I mean you’ve been crushing on him for as long as I can remember, he’s been all you’ve been talking about. Andrew this… Andrew that.” Emy laughed feeling a little disappointed that no guy had asked her out since Austin, and Gabriel had shown no interest in her yet. She tried to lighten up so that Mary won’t suspect a thing for she feared she was losing her shine by the minute and it wasn't looking good for her.

Both girls walked towards the school field and sat on a bench that was under a tree. “Tell me everything; I want to know all the detail. How did it happen?” Emy asked inquisitively.

“Well it started last week Saturday I--”

“That long, and I got no hint huh?” Emy interrupted.

“I wanted to be sure before I say anything.” Mary defended. “As I was saying,” She continued “I went to the grocery store to get some items for my grandma. On getting there, I heard from behind me, someone calling out my name.

I turned to find who it was; “Do my eyes deceive me?” I wondered when I saw it was Andrew.

He walked closer “Hi, I’m Andrew.” He introduced himself, trying to reboot my memory like I didn’t know who he was. He continued “We are in the same Chemistry class.”

“I--, I know who you are, Andrew. I just didn’t know you knew my name or even notice me in class.” I said coyly.

“Who wouldn’t, I mean with the way you answered all of Mr. Patrick’s questions on Thursday, you drew attention to yourself and until that day, I didn’t know I was seating behind the most beautiful and intelligent girl in class.” He said and I’m sure his aim was to flatter me.

“Thank you.” I simply replied, smiling.

"Ummm, I’ll see you in school on Monday, right? He asked.

Definitely you will.” I replied.

“And then we said our goodbyes.” Mary said as if carrying Emy to witness how their conversation went.

“Trust me I was surprised when he walked up to me.” Mary told Emy. “And since on Monday he’s been talking to me and smiling at me in an odd way, it became very creepy until today, when he officially asked me to be his girlfriend, isn’t this great?” Her eyes lit up to Emy, till--

“Oh ya it’s great news indeed.” Emy smiled back.

Joy killer stopped over with her clique after they overhead their conversation; “Do you think Andrew will settle for a low ugly girl like you?” April said with so much contempt, as the two girls with her laughed mockingly “You know what honey,” she continued, “you are not up enough to date the second hottest guy, I mean after Gabriel.” She said matter-of-factly, with her eyes rolling and smiling to her friends “You are…way down.” April used her hand to demonstrate “down” for Mary angrily. “And as I said, Andrew will never settle for you. You and I can’t possibly be dating the same class of guys.” She concluded “Let’s go girls” she led her friends and they walked away, leaving Mary very sad and confused.

“Don’t listen to her, Mary. She only doing what she know how to do best.” Emy said trying to make Mary feel better which clearly didn’t work.

Emy wrapped her hand over Mary’s shoulders feeling very angry and her blood boiling with fury. Over everything, she still had a soft spot for Mary, that’s why they’ve been friends for such a long time. Mary was soft, too soft and Emy never liked to see her sad.

She clinched her fist hard but took a deep breathe “Don’t get distracted Emilora, she’s not worth your rage.” Emy told herself as she returned her gaze to Mary

______________________________________

||****||

Words (1058)