Visiting Friends

Where was I going? I had no idea. 

I had to leave, no matter how bad I felt, no matter how supportive Steve was in trying to help me. Jess had personally come after me. How many other HYDRA members knew where I was? With me around, Steve would never be safe. HYDRA would stop at nothing to kill me, I realized that now.

I flew up above the clouds and used the air to glide, not wanting to use all of my energy. Flying low, people would see me and my wings and they'd know who I was. I couldn't show my wings to anyone. Flying above the clouds, I was high enough to look like another bird flying in the sky.

Where was I going to go? I didn't know anyone besides Ryan and the Avengers. Ryan was still on a mission for Nick. Where did Miranda say she was going this month?

Miranda had told me she was going on vacation and wanted me to go with her, but with my wings, I wouldn't be able to hide them easily. So I didn't go. Plus Steve was beyond stressed and I didn't want to leave him like that. Now that I think about it, we both could have used the vacation.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and found Miranda's number. She picked up after the first ring.

"Alexx! How are you? What's that sound?" she asked.

"I don't know. And it's me flying. Where are you?" I had told her about the wings before.

"What's wrong?"

"I'll tell you later. Where are you?" 

"I'm in Florida."

"Are you staying at a hotel?"

"Yeah, umm, it's..."

"Hold on. Let me land for a moment." I shot back down toward the buildings and landed on a roof. I pulled out a small notepad and a pen. "Okay, I'm ready to write it down."

"All right. My hotel is the Hilton Daytona Beach Resort Oceanwalk Village in Daytona Beach." Miranda replied. 

"What a mouthful."

"Right?"

"Okay, what's the address?"

"100 North Atlantic Avenue, Daytona Beach, Florida."

I scribbled down the address just as Miranda said it. "Great. I'll be there as soon as possible."

"Wait -- you're coming here now? Are you okay Alexx?" Miranda sounded worried now.

"I'm fine, don't worry about me. I'll see you soon."

"Okay."

"I'm still close to New York right now, so I'll let you know when I'm closer."

"Okay. Be careful, Alexx."

"I will. You enjoy your vacation until I get there." I hung up and pocketed my phone. "I'm gonna need a map." I mumbled to myself. I ripped the paper with the address from the notepad and stuffed it into my other pocket, putting the notepad and pen back in my backpack.

I couldn't use my phone for a map, Tony would easily track me down. I flew down into the city behind a building and folded my wings into my shirt. Finding the nearest Walmart, which happened to be in New Jersey, I went in, found a map of the country and a map of Florida, bought them and went outside to decide where I would go and how I would get to Miranda.

I took to the sky again, flying for another hour and a half until I reached Washington DC for a break. I flew to Steve's old apartment, knowing where it was.

I say old, but really Steve and I still had some things inside. We hadn't packed everything up yet.

Steve had introduced me to the people that lived above him. It was a single mother and her 10-year-old daughter, Lily, who immediately clicked with me. She reminded me so much of my little sister, Abby, and she wanted a big sister. So I was named her official big sister. But she had to be 11 by now. Luckily Captain America was her favorite Avenger.  I quickly wrapped a couple pairs of brand new Captain America socks in a plastic grocery bag, then hurried up the stairs and knocked on the door.