Chapter 1 - Secrets

Emma's P.O.V

I sat cross-legged against my favorite sturdy apple tree. I had my head leaning back against it enjoying the afternoon sun. The sounds of the dense forestry from behind me calmed my nerves. Today would hopefully be the last day living in the middle of nowhere. The closest town was an hour and a half walk and mother was against getting a car so we did not get the chance to go very often. I know it sounds rather lonely but the house had this aura about it. It was like a big hug, always making you feel safe and loved. Don't get me wrong, I loved the small cabin I had called home for the last 10 years. The 2 story cabin sat nestled among the forestry with its gorgeous dark wood coloring making the surrounding gardens an even brighter green. I loved the way the wood changed to a lighter milk chocolate color with each sunray breaking through the forest. Its colored paned windows were currently open letting in the afternoon breeze. Allowing me to see every room from this position. My mother had built this home in her youth with help from her ex-partner Erik. It was a sad story how they split and I rarely brought him up as when I did the pain was evident on mother's face. I looked at the cabin with conflicted feelings, although I hated being isolated I did love this place. I spotted Sera's silver curls hanging loose down her back stopping just above her waist in the kitchen leaning against the counter. She supported her famous frown and I wondered if she was thinking about leaving here too. I wondered if I should go and speak with her, after all, we were planning on moving to her father's hometown. I sighed remembering the first day I walked into this home, wonder had filled me initially as a child thinking that this place was perfect for a witch. Sera was always smiling back then, always seemed to be happy.

I tried to remember what the cause was to change Sera from a happy bubbly girl to this angst-filled, frustrated woman. I would have nightly terrors of my birth mother screaming for me to run and something chasing me for many years. Perhaps that caused it? No. Those dreams had subsided over the years and I would only get them occasionally as I got older. I smiled remembering how excited and ecstatic Sera was when I first met her, I being shy hid between my mother's legs as this sliver-haired girl barrelled towards me squealing in excitement. She jumped on me and hugged me so tight. Sera is 2 years older than me, and the day everything had happened was on her birthday. Such a terrible thing to happen but she didn't seem to mind. It took her less than one day to start calling me little sister and a week to come up with special nicknames. She called me EmEm and in return, I came up with SeSe because her eyes reminded me of the sea. Honestly, I think my child's brain just thought she was some kind of fairy. But now, Sera had fully grown. She looked so much like a mother apart from her silver hair. She had dark blue eyes, the color of the deep sea with flecks of white/silver like the foam on the waves. Her petite frame from childhood had filled out completely, she had a rather large frame now. Wide hips, hourglass figure with a large bust making me feel a pang of jealously. I may have been younger but when I stood next to Sera I looked like a twig with crazy red hair. My curls are thick and untameable whereas hers are silky ringlets. I could only hope that I too would be that stunning when I reached adulthood.

"Emma?"

I snapped my eyes to my left, seeing my mother walking up the cobblestone path from the creek holding a basket of berries. She didn't look much different from that first day I met her apart from her raven black hair which had grown much longer, now reaching below her buttocks. Her frame was still quite muscular for 45 and her age only showed on her face. She had the best kind of wrinkles, smile lines from years of laughter. Her cheeks were rounded apple-like and her lips full with a permanent smirk in the corner.

"Yes, mother?"

I smiled warmly and she returned a wider smile, I had never felt anything but love from this woman and I cherished it so much.