Chapter Thirty-One

STEVIE

I SAT cramped in the backseat of a taxi in between Dark and Jerry. Dark wanted more than anything to take a subway and walk the rest to his house, but the doctor told him not to exercise too much for the next few weeks, so he kindly arranged transportation for him. Though he wasn't excited to get home, neither was I. We both knew what had to be done once we walked through those doors, and we dreaded it.

To keep my mind off of the inevitable, I texted Grace with a small grin across my lips. She had heard about my disappearance and was checking up on me along with an apology. I was relieved to hear from her again, knowing that she had concluded that she didn't care I was a Deviate, and my secret was safe with her. She was, however, disappointed to hear that I was dropping out of school. I reassured her that it had nothing to do with her, that it was a decision I weighed carefully on my own. Though, I didn't tell her about the kidnapping. No one could know.

Sooner or later, the police would investigate the flash drive, and it was only a matter of time until they came knocking on my mother's door to tell her the real reason Dad died. I was already prepared for months of mood swings from her; it was inevitable. My job was to be there for her as long as I could. Deep down, I longed to tell her about the device he invented and that I'd had it all this time, but I decided that it best she never find out. Her heart could only take so much sorrow.

After Hiro left the hospital yesterday, I confided with Dark and Jerry about my secret power, and they agreed to never tell a soul. It was a secret that would bind the four of us forever. No matter what future paths we take on, we'd hold close this secret, even if we somehow drift apart.

We parked in front of the townhouse. I offered to help Dark out of the car, but he refused. When we stepped inside, Jerry practically skipped to the kitchen with excitement.

"I should cook something for everyone. What do you guys want?" he asked, tugging open the fridge.

Dark and I looked at each other, frowning in unison.

"Actually, there's something we need to talk about," Dark replied.

Jerry flashed us a confused look, slowly shutting the refrigerator with a frown. We gestured him out of the kitchen and took him to the living room, where I sat with him on the couch. Dark seized the recliner, groaning as he roosted. Jerry eyed both of us; I watched the recent excitement slowly fading in his stare by the second.

"What's this about?" he asked. Now I could tell he knew something was up.

Dark helplessly turned to me, imploring with his eyes for me to tell him instead. I heavily sighed, turning to Jerry and taking his hand in my own.

"Hiro recovered some information at the FTS," I said.

Jerry's eyes shifted back forth between Dark and me, thoroughly puzzled. "Okay..."

"Jerry, your parents didn't die the way you thought." My voice was breaking, but I swallowed it down as best as I could. I had to be strong this time, for my friend.

Jerry's brow cut down, and he slipped his hand out my grasp. "What do you mean? The crash killed them; that was it."

"Nah, Buddy," Dark said. The sorrow in his voice told me this was just as difficult for him as it was for me. "Your dad was against Draven's methods too. His goons tampered with the car."

"We wanted to tell you before the police did," I said softly.

Jerry bounced off the couch, marching to the office. "I don't want to believe you."

I chased after him as Dark struggled to get up with a grunt. Before I could reach out to him, the office door slammed in my face.

"Jerry, don't do this. We're here for you. You know my father met the same fate; if anyone can understand how you're feeling right now, it's me."