Chapter Eighteen

STEVIE

I SWIVELED around in my stool, cupping my hand near my face in case Leon decided to look in my direction. My chest was tightening, and I felt nauseous just thinking about him recognizing me. It could jeopardize our whole investigation.

Dark suspiciously squinted his eyes at me. "What's wrong?"

"Do you recognize the man who just walked in?" I asked, my voice lowering in secret.

My friend snuck a look at Leon and then back at his drink. "Isn't that the guy who..."

I nodded at Dark before he could finish his sentence.

"You don't think he remembers you, do you?" asked Dark.

"Would you remember someone who knocked you out with a trashcan lid?"

Dark fell silent, stealing another glance at Leon and then back at me, muttering, "He's walking this way."

I forced my head down, anticipating the unforeseen Deviate to stand beside me and request a drink. Instead, Leon passed us, strolling up to the door guarded by the two muscular men. Dark and I curiously watched the bouncers open the door for him and nodding in some sort of silent understanding. Leon slipped in and disappeared up a flight of shadowy stairs.

Dark and I immediately turned to each other with wide eyes, coming to the same conclusion as if we shared a brain.

"Leon is a Fire Wielder! That's where they hang out." My hand clapped Dark's arm.

"Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get past the guards," Dark said.

"Maybe we don't have to get past them," I said.

Dark turned to me. "What are you thinking?"

I checked my surroundings, my eyes landing on the entry. "There's gotta be a different entrance."

Dark slipped a bundle of cash under his cup. "I'll go scope it out."

"I'll go with you," I offered, placing my hands on the booth to get up.

Dark stopped me. "No, it will look suspicious. I'm going to take a 'smoke break,' you stay here and look... I don't know, average."

My eidetic memory forced me to return to the night Dark, and I last split up, causing me to frown. "Are you sure?"

"I'll be okay, I promise," Dark said. "I'll call you if I need you."

I nodded. My eyes were attached to Dark until he exited the lounge. There was a knot in my stomach as I thought of all the things that could happen to him without me, especially since we were at the Fire Wielders favorite hangout. The thought of him getting burned again left me anxious.

I turned around in my stool, signaling the bartender. "Can I have more water, please?"

"Bo-o-ring," a voice said beside me.

My eyes fell on a young man I didn't even know was sitting next to me. He was on the small side, yet very fit with Asian features, pale skin, and dark eyes that could hold my gaze hostage. His dark, silky hair was bushy, but he didn't seem to mind. He pushed it back when it fell in his eyesight.

"Excuse me?" I asked the young man.

The man took a sip of what I assumed was whiskey. "Who orders water?"

I flashed my bracelet. "Someone who has no choice."

"That sucks. I would have bought you a drink," the man said, smiling timidly.