Chapter Twenty-Seven

STEVIE

I TWIDDELED a fork in my salad with a cringe. As I sat in the kitchen, my bony elbow supporting my head in my hand, I wondered when Dad would be coming home. It was nearly nine o'clock, and he was supposed to get off at eight. Usually, a drive to the suburbs was an easy half-hour drive. He'd been staying at the lab later than usual, said he had a promotion that would take away more time from being home, but I didn't anticipate this.

My ears perked at the sound of keys jingling outside. Dad opened the door with a coat in his arm, a suitcase in the other. He looked exhausted; the dark circles under his eyes were a dead giveaway. His brown hair, once styled for the day, was out of place and needed fixing.

"Hey," I greeted.

Dad turned to me as if he hadn't recognized my presence. "Hey, Swan. What's for dinner?"

"Salad," I replied with a grimace.

"Not according to my menu," Dad said. From behind the coat hanging off him, he revealed a greasy Burger King bag.

My eyes lit up. Then I turned my head to make sure Mom was still watching TV in her room. "Here?" I asked.

Dad smiled softly. "Why not?"

He handed me my special plain cheeseburger, taking a seat next to me at the island. I told him about my day at school, waiting for him to chat about work, but nothing came up. He loved to talk about his latest projects with me, but tonight he was curiously quiet.

"Did you finish your homework?" Dad asked.

"Duh," I answered with a mouthful.

"Good, because I thought we'd make some tea and watch a movie tonight."

I smiled, nodding in approval.

When we finished our dinner, Dad asked me to stash the fast-food trash in the outside bin while preparing the tea. He let me pick the movie and joined me with two cups once I started it. We sat on the couch, allowing our tea to cool down as the commercials dragged on. I could have skipped them, but I was excited to sip my beverage. It tasted slightly different from Dad's standard batch, but I didn't want to nit-pick. The temperature was just right as it slid down my throat, securely warming up my insides. The feeling took me back to December nights when we would cuddle up and watch movies as a family. Even though it was the beginning of spring, it still felt right.

"Stevie?" Dad asked.

I took another swig, my eyes glued to the television. "Mmhm?"

"I'm not going to be around as much now—with the promotion, I mean," he said, his voice jumping hastily. In my peripheral vision, I spotted him watching me drink. I looked at him, and our blue eyes sealed solemnly.

"It's okay, I understand," I said.

Dad's eyes appeared sullen, but he blinked, and it vanished. "Just wanted to make sure you'll be helping your mom and look after her."

"I got you," I assured in the middle of a broad yawn. "I'll clean the kitchen for her, and the living room, and—"

"I mean, I need you to take care of her," Dad said.

"Is she sick?" I asked, letting out another tired yawn.

"No. You know how lonely Mom gets."

"Don't worry, Dad. I can do anything," I said assuringly.

A meek smile tugged at Dad's lips. He reached out and played with my hair. "I know you can, Swan."