Chapter Six

DERRICK

THE SKY was shrouded in clouds; not a single star could be found. I couldn't recall the last time I even bothered to look for the stars. It was as if I had forgotten their existence, their significance. And now, when I needed them the most, they were obscured by selfish grey clouds.

            I rested flat on my back on the roof, and my mask lay next to me. It was one of those nights where every little thing dragged me down into the dark pit of depression. I fought against it, kicking and screaming, but its malevolent grasp on my ankle continued to pull me down, farther and farther, until I could no longer come up for air. The lower I was yanked into the pit, the more evident my father's words echoed in the back of my mind.

            "Come here, you little shit!"

"Pick that up!"

"This is your fault!"

I was ten years old again, locked in my room with my arms wrapped around my legs, waiting for one of his drunk episodes to subside. Meanwhile, my father was pounding on the door, screaming at me to unlock it, but I didn't dare comply. One day he would break my door down, and by that day, I should be prepared for a nasty fight. Until then, I prayed to God that the lock would hold just another day more.

I knew it was safe to leave my room when snoring emanated from the living room, followed by the cheering of the crowd on whatever game show Dad had fallen asleep watching. That was my cue to tuck him in for the night, extinguish his cigarette, and throw away all of his cans.

One night after I had draped him with the throw blanket, Dad had stirred in his drunken slumber, which was rare. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me toward him, slowly but firmly.

"Derrick," he groaned. The alcohol in his breath wafted its way to me. I held my breath as tears developed in the corners of my eyes.

"Yeah, Pops?" I asked uneasily.

Gradually, I rotated my wrist. Dad's hold tightened in response, and I grimaced.

"You're not going to leave me, are you?" he slurred. His dark brown eyes were wide open and spaced out, but now and then, they held my nervous gaze captive.

"N-no."

My father's grasp on my wrist was like a wrench on a bolt. I anticipated the moment he was going to twist and break it. However, his hold on my eyes released once he leaned his head back in the recliner, giving in to the dizziness that was underway.

"Because when your mama left, that made me very angry," Dad said lowly.

"I know, Dad. I'm not mama," I reassured him.

He squeezed my wrist stiffer than ever and jerked me even closer. I whimpered as his eyes fluttered open and found me effortlessly under the dim light of the TV.

"You better not be," he threatened through his crooked, alcohol-stained teeth. "You ever leave me, I'll find you. I'll find you, and I'll kill you. You understand me, boy?"

I nodded my head vigorously, attempting to pull my wrist back. I was too stunned to speak. Dad finally pushed me away, again resting his head back, hopefully for the final time.

"Now get your ass to bed. It's a school night."

I opened my eyes to greet the greedy clouds once more, pulling myself out of the pit. My body seemed to have left the earth for a few minutes; I felt dazed and unaware of my surroundings.

I sat up, looking at the east Havenbrook bridge from afar. Beyond that, the south side in its shimmering glory. I had always admired how Havenbrook's lights shined brighter than the moon. No matter how screwed up this town seemed, it was impossible to deny that the lights weren't beautiful at night. It was almost as if they were challenging me to shine brighter. As long as the city was glowing, I had to be as well.