Chapter Twenty-Eight

STEVIE

THE GUARDS behind my only escape were impassive as they stood watch. I viewed them from the bench, wondering how I could get them to deactivate my forcefield door so I could bust out. My plan was to somehow steal the remote to my shock collar as well as an access key. I could shut off the brace and make a break for the staircase I spotted yesterday, though I had no clue where it led. I could be outside of town or in another state for all I knew. It was a sloppy plan that could get me killed, but I'd rather die trying than just sit around, waiting to be operated on and killed.

Suddenly, one of the guards moved, bringing his hand to his ear. He turned to the other, murmuring something I couldn't understand. Then they turned to me, their stern gazes firmly holding mine like a mother and child crossing the street.

"The surgeon is ready for you."

"What?" I gasped. "Already?"

One of the pair deactivated the force field gate, reaching in his pocket for the remote to my collar. "Don't try anything."

"No, stay away from me," I cautioned. My body pressed against the wall. I convinced myself that I was pasted to it; that way, they couldn't drag me out. This couldn't be my end. I wasn't prepared to die.

He revealed the remote, and with a tight scowl, pushed down on a button. The electric shock surged through me, forcing my body to give way and collapse. The guards stormed in, each taking an arm of mine and lifting me up. I felt too weak to fight, but I forced myself to try. My mother's face urged me on like a beacon of hope. With everything in me, I thrust an elbow upward, cracking a guard's jaw. He dropped the remote. His companion stretched for it, but my free fist jabbed him in the nose before he had the chance.

The amount of adrenaline flowing inside me made my legs wobble as I stumbled for the remote. As I reached, the guard launched himself at me, wrestling me to the ground. We rolled across the floor, kicking and grunting. He mounted me, pinning me down with all his might before I had a prayer.

"You could have gone down with dignity, but here you lie," he spat.

My heart pounded faster at the sight of a dagger holstered at his side. He had the alternative to use it against me, but that would require releasing one hand to grab it.

"That's because I'm fighting with my hands tied behind my back," I retorted.

I shoved my head into his, secretly wishing that I had Dark's helmet to take away at least half the discomfort that ensued directly after. Stars fluttered before my eyes, pain erupted in my forehead, but I made myself concentrate. I stretched for the knife at his side, grunting as I plunged it into his thigh. The man bellowed. Blood gushed over my hand.

"Prisoner is resisting. Back up requested!" the other guard shouted in his earpiece. He had already recovered, crawling toward the remote.

As the guard atop me cried over his leg, I shoved him off. I bounced off the ground and turned around to see the other was hastily diving for the remote. He kicked it farther away to his dismay, sending the device gliding across the tile and outside the cell. He realized his clumsy mistake, nervously looking at me just in time to witness my boot come crashing down on his head. His face smacked the floor. I leaped over him and bolted to the exit. With epinephrine shooting through my entire body, I whirled around and slammed my hand on a big red button, shutting them inside for good.

The guard lay gripping his punctured leg, scared to tear the dagger out of his skin. The other pushed his body against the forcefield. He uselessly pounded on it to escape. "You'll never make it. There's back up on the way!"

"Then I better start running."

I stooped down and picked up the remote before bursting into a sprint. As my footsteps rumbled loudly on the tile, I was fixed on the remote control. I looked closely at it, struggling to find an off switch. If I could free myself from the shock collar, I could use my powers to aid my escape, blowing away any guy in my path, including Draven. I'll head for the stair case and go from there. It was a sloppy, unorganized plan, but I had little time to work with, in my defense.