Chapter Eleven

STEVIE

I HAD never been so desirous of calling off from school in my life. Ever since my eyes fluttered open that morning, I felt something inside my stomach, gnawing ferociously like a ravenous dog sinking its teeth into a bone—starving to taste the last bit of meat.

I stared at myself in the mirror, taking in my unusual attire for the day: heavy sweatpants, hoodie, sneakers, and soft gloves. It wasn't my typical look, but it was enough to hide the blue shining of my veins—if my body felt the impulse to do so.

It was only September, but it was not remotely cold enough to wear what I was styling. I would receive glares, but at least no one would see my shine. I'd just have to conceal my face with caution.

And here comes Stevie Jones, styling her new look: Homeless Chic.

I struck a pose in the mirror as a model would. I looked like an idiot, but it made me think back to when I was seven years old, modeling outfits for my parents in our house in the suburbs. For just a brief, precious moment, I felt the perfect blend of nostalgia and happiness. Then my little moment ended when my mom came into my room.

"Oh, dear. You're going to burn up on your way to school," she said with a confused frown.

"I'm still having chills," I told her, faking the fatigue in my voice. I despised how good I was becoming at acting.

"Well, I'm going to work. Have a good day," Mom said.

I only flashed her a forced, weak grin. Remembering our little argument from the night before left me bitter. I still wasn't over it—how she had called Deviates creatures.

I waved at her, and she disappeared.

Thinking about leaving for school caused that gnawing feeling in my stomach to come back. I was anxious, but I thought about what Dark had said the night before, how I wasn't giving myself much credit. Perhaps if I didn't feed into my anxiety or the fact that my veins glowed—like I felt around Dark—I could get through the day without exposing myself.

I put on a brave face, scooped up my backpack, and departed.

-

I hated to admit it, but Mom was right. On my commute to school, I had been sweating like a sinner in church, and my walk around campus didn't make it better. Once I made it inside the air-conditioned hallways, I relaxed, but I refused to put down my hood.

I strutted to my class, pretending that nothing was amiss with my character. But boy, if anyone could see what was really going on with me, they'd run for the hills. I felt like a liar with a secret, and it wasn't a good feeling.

I kept my eyes down as I strolled into class. I turned in my homework and took a seat in the front next to Grace, who was beaming since I walked in.

"Hey, are you feeling better?" she asked.

I allowed myself to glance at my friend before turning back to the board, nodding.

I could tell that Grace wanted to question my outfit, but she held her tongue. I didn't want her to ask, nonetheless. I hated lying.

Grace tapped my foot with her own, and I looked at her curiously. Slowly, she gestured at the entrance with only her eyes, and I looked over in that direction to see Adam strolling in. He turned in his homework and looked up to see me, his eyes locked with mine under his sandy-brown hair. I looked away quickly, but it was too late.

"You going skiing, Jones?" he mocked, yanking my hood down as he passed me.

I said nothing; Adam's remark didn't even faze me. I was determined to get through class without making a fool of myself this time.